'Sticky' portal feature?

Hello,

After reading your forums and checking out your demo site, I'm now convinced that Xenforo would be an ideal forum setup for my website. However, I'd love to know if there's any add-on that can do the following:

Is there any cms add-on for Xenforo, which can provide a date ordered blog of articles on the home page, but also provide the ability to 'sticky' one or more of those articles at the top of the list? A bit like a forum sticky I guess...

Hope that make sense.

Craig.

Hello,

After reading your forums and checking out your demo site, I'm now convinced that Xenforo would be an ideal forum setup for my website. However, I'd love to know if there's any add-on that can do the following:

Is there any cms add-on for Xenforo, which can provide a date ordered blog of articles on the home page, but also provide the ability to 'sticky' one or more of those articles at the top of the list? A bit like a forum sticky I guess...

Hope that make sense.

Craig.

XenPorta.
The details of it are on the 147 pages.
Not sure about the sticky the article, but that could be easily tweaked into it ... I think people would like your idea and want it as well.
Demo: 8wayrun.com
I had a gallery of good XenPorta homepage's but it is closed.
Hope that helps.

Hi there,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I actually stumbled over XenPorta in my research. It does look great and the media library on 8wayrun.com looks very similar (perhaps even better) than a plugin that I once tested on vBulletin 4. The blog like homepage of 8wayrun is also precisely what I'm looking for. The only problem for me, as someone that doesn't know anything whatsoever about coding - is whether I'd be capable/skilled enough to work out how to achieve this sicky article effect.

This is something that I desperately want to achieve, because my target niche is a slightly older audience of readers, with limited computer experience and whom would be more familiar with reading books than blogs or forum posts. I feel that the ability to stick/lock an article at the top of the page would enable me to create a permanent article with info on how to navigate my site. This could then stay prominent on the main homepage, rather than expecting the reader to look for a seperate help page.

Sorry for posting this on the pre-sales questions as I appreciate that XenForo doesn't have any official CMS. It's just that I already have vB Publishing Suite/vBSEO licenses and the CMS aspect is an important factor for me if I'm going to switch.

I'll get started on those 147 pages now :)

Regards,
Craig.

OK... the more I look at xenforo the more I like it. I'm going to look for a site that allows you to sell vBulletin / vBSEO licenses now. Thanks ever so much for the quick and helpful advice. I'll place an order for XF as soon as I find someone to take the other two off my hands.

Thanks again
Craig..

Notices can be displayed on any page or using a specific tab or controller.

Watch the video from 5:50.

Yes, I did spot that. I just wasn't clear whether 'any page or tab' included tabs created by 3rd party add-ons. As you can probaby tell, my technical understanding of how things integrate is somewhat limited. Having said that, I managed to get vB running, so I can't be too thick ;-)

Haven't had any luck selling vB, but I've just placed my order with you for XenForo anyway :)
I was going to sell my vB license.
But I didn't bother because I felt it was unfair to screw someone that bad.
It's like selling your used car, knowing the transmission is bad.
A lemon, is a lemon.

If you have a few spare licenses, I'd probably sell all but one at a ROCK BOTTOM price.

Anyway, forget the past & welcome to the future !
When your xF license goes through, get the new (Note: Beta) XenPorta ... and follow up on your good idea about the STICKY portal. There are more than one way to accomplish what you want.

I was going to sell my vB license.
But I didn't bother because I felt it was unfair to screw someone that bad.
It's like selling your used car, knowing the transmission is bad.
A lemon, is a lemon.

If you have a few spare licenses, I'd probably sell all but one at a ROCK BOTTOM price.

Anyway, forget the past & welcome to the future !
When your xF license goes through, get the new (Note: Beta) XenPorta ... and follow up on your good idea about the STICKY portal. There are more than one way to accomplish what you want.

Thanks :-) I only have one vbsuite and one vbseo license, but I really thought that I'd be able to sell them as a pair to pay for XenForo. I've had zero luck so far though.

Anyway, I can't wait to play with Xenforo and I'll check out the new XenPorta and the various forums here in preperation for my new site. :-)

As the portal
curious was there ever a mod that sticky the thread on top of the portal ? I just required the same thing as the sticky option only is working on threads.

As the portal is using a forum for its data, you can just sticky the thread and it'll display on the portal the same as the forum. In fact, there's even an "edit" button on the articles for XenPorta that you can click. Once you do, sticky is one of the options.

I dont think you can sticky in xenporta.
If you wanted to do that, you'd be best writing a new xenporta module.
The module would just contain 1 article (the one you wanted stickied).
Then below that ... list the usual articles.

Top Bottom