Status Updates functionality?

Nathanial B.

Hello!
We're exploring the possibility of moving several of our forums from IPS to Xenforo after we've received a lot of angry feedback about BBcode source editing being lost in version 4.

Xenforo obviously has BBcode source editing, and I've enjoyed it's general usage on several other forums (such as ECF) that use the software, which is why I brought up the idea of moving to Xenforo.

Is there any sort of status update functionality in Xenforo similar to what IPS has had since V3? I know that it's not really forum-tailored (it always felt out of place in a forum package to me) but it's something one of our biggest communities has grown attached to, and is a way many of our members interact with each other outside of threads and PM.

While many members would love to see a forum software that supports BBcode source editing (due to wanting to make heavy customization's to their project threads), and I don't see IPS adding the functionality back (due to posts I've read from their developers), I do see them being upset if Status Update functionality is "lost" if we switched software's.

Does Xenforo have this sort of "Status Update" functionaltiy either via the core (as a planned feature for 2.0 or somewhere I can enable it in the ACP) or a plugin of some sort?

The other question I wanted to personally ask is about S3 file storage and CDN support (specifically CloudFront). This is something I'm currently taking advantage of for our IPS 4 installation, and would like to be able to continue to have such support in Xenforo if at all possible.

Also, does Xenforo support PHP 7 yet?

I may have more questions from our staff and our community members, but thank you in advance for your time.

Last edited:
Does Xenforo have this sort of "Status Update" functionaltiy either via the core (as a planned feature for 2.0 or somewhere I can enable it in the ACP) or a plugin of some sort?
What exactly are you referring to as "Status Update"?
XenForo - as core - has this

Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 12.46.02 AM.webp

I believe that there is also a sidebar block in core that shows updates... I don't use it as I use an alternative to do the widgets with.

The other question I wanted to personally ask is about S3 file storage and CDN support (specifically CloudFront). This is something I'm currently taking advantage of for our IPS 4 installation, and would like to be able to continue to have such support in Xenforo if at all possible.
CDN's are supported.. but someone that uses/has used CloudFront would have to chime in... but a search from the forum home page for CloudFront turned up this
Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 12.48.37 AM.webp
Also, does Xenforo support PHP 7 yet?
many are using it, and I believe it is "officially" supported also.
I was using it just fine - but had to go back to PHP 5.6.17 due to bringing my IPS site back online.

What exactly are you referring to as "Status Update"?
XenForo - as core - has this

View attachment 127279

I believe that there is also a sidebar block in core that shows updates... I don't use it as I use an alternative to do the widgets with.

CDN's are supported.. but someone that uses/has used CloudFront would have to chime in... but a search from the forum home page for CloudFront turned up this
View attachment 127280

many are using it, and I believe it is "officially" supported also.
I was using it just fine - but had to go back to PHP 5.6.17 due to bringing my IPS site back online.

Hi, thanks for the response!
Brilliant, that's exactly what I meant by status updates. Sounds like the core features that our community needs is right there in Xenforo. My only only concern is that one of our IPS installations uses their Commerce plugin. Not a huge deal, because we're getting rid of it in February, but I will need to figure out a way to allow customers to keep their purchases on file. I don't suppose there's a way to dump "custom" tables into Xenforo at all, is there?

I am not aware of any comparable XenForo add-on to the Commerce of IPB/IPS. I'm sure that it would not be that difficult - if it was for archival data use only - to have a simple add-on with an importer written. There are several very competent coders that would probably do it for a very reasonable fee... but yes, you can dump your tables into the DB - it's the extracting the data that is the "fun" part.
@Jake B. or @batpool52! could give more input into that aspect than I can.

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, we're migrating away from a forum-based eCommerce solution. What we need is a way to "archive" past orders so customers can still access their purchase download links, but we have no need for the rest of the package anymore. It would probably be more simple to just import the data into Xenforo and then figuring out what to do with it with a custom plugin.

Top Bottom