Starting New Forum - In What Order Should I Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting a new forum and I have been talking to MySiteGuy but it seems he is not available. Should I purchase the theme, the license & second year, the add ons I want, the installation and then a hosting site, in that order? Would that work? I will still use you @MySiteGuy if you become available by 7/27 and reply to my PMs.

Thanks, I have the domain, hosting was going to be My Site Guy and I have a theme or style in mind. Does Xenforo install the add ons? I'm ready to go I think but mysiteguy said he can't do it until 7/27. However, he hasn't replied to me to finalize the details so I'm not sure he is interested in doing business with me.

That's fine if that's the case and I will give him a few days to contact me. If I don't hear from him I will do it all myself.

I bought the license, installation and the Media Gallery add on, the domain and I have the hosting site from A2. Now I need a theme but they are hard to find here. If I buy a theme from someone like Themehouse will they install it?

I can't find my MYSQL password or url so I might be getting a refund, I can't even get the Installation questions right. I guess you need to know everything before you try starting a forum, big mistake.

Yeah, I'm sorry but the MySQL "root" password stopped me and I couldn't complete the initial form of pre-installation with SQL information so apparently I can't continue. I started a ticket for a full refund because it's too difficult for me, personally. Thank you all for the advice and help.

Yeah, I'm sorry but the MySQL "root" password stopped me and I couldn't complete the initial form of pre-installation with SQL information so apparently I can't continue. I started a ticket for a full refund because it's too difficult for me, personally. Thank you all for the advice and help.
Just stick with it! It's a learning process, sure, but the end result of having your own forum is quite rewarding :)

I don't remember how I got my forums online. I can image that it was difficult because it was my first installation and I didn't have much experience with cpanel, hosting, and stuff. There were so many things I had to learn omg.

Last edited:
I started in 2013 with phpBB.
It took me three years to learn from failures and to get experience to establish what now is already running for years.
And I am still learning!

I bought the license, installation and the Media Gallery add on, the domain and I have the hosting site from A2. Now I need a theme but they are hard to find here. If I buy a theme from someone like Themehouse will they install it?
I also use A2 hosting and their service seems very good. Tech support is responsive and much better than a previous host I used.

I hope that you don't give up. I had Xenforo and @Slavik do my initial forums conversion from vBulletin and that went well. I had Xenforo do an upgrade for me when they went to XF2 and I was worried how that might go. You should be able to get that information from A2 Hosting. Just tell them what it is asking for. Also, if you can spare it, I'd definitely have XF do the initial installation for you. It will help you feel better about it and they will make sure it is installed correctly. That can be of great peace of mind. Good luck! :-)

I hope that you don't give up. I had Xenforo and @Slavik do my initial forums conversion from vBulletin and that went well. I had Xenforo do an upgrade for me when they went to XF2 and I was worried how that might go. You should be able to get that information from A2 Hosting. Just tell them what it is asking for. Also, if you can spare it, I'd definitely have XF do the initial installation for you. It will help you feel better about it and they will make sure it is installed correctly. That can be of great peace of mind. Good luck! :)
Well, now I'm using Bluehost for a domain and hosting together. I will try again soon and try to resolve the SQL problem. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom