Starting A Forum

ITGuy

So, how do I get a real forum started? I use another forum right now, until I can switch to XenForo, but hardly anyone comes to my website. I only have a couple members and they aren't even active.

So how do you get all those people coming to your forum and posting?

You must have something that people wants. Just put yourself in the visitor's shoes, ;)
Then, start marketing it.
However, you can hire people to post on your forum or do post exchanges, which helps kick start a forum, (y)
- since most likely no one is going to join an empty forum..

I don't think there is a magic formula but perhaps there is.

I have no idea what I am doing and according to a great many people I did everything wrong and my forum grew. I have no idea why.

I did an awful job of it and I have members. Maybe sometimes you get lucky.

Content and a year of hard work on your part to get it started.

You can't just build it and expect it to grow on its own - you have to post on it yourself, add lots of content, give Google and visitors something to look at, post on other forums to advertise it in your signature (where allowed), get a few friends to help out, ask people in the forums you currently use to help you kick start it, use Adwords, build a blog and link it back to your forums, buy a bunch of related domains and put Wordpress on them and fill them with keywords and point them back at your forums ...

... but - no matter what you do to get them there ... MAKE SURE THERE IS SOMETHING TO LOOK AT WHEN THEY ARRIVE!!!

That big bold part is important. That's the work that you have to do. Get something in there to get it going. Later on your regular visitors will do a good bit of that work for you, but to start with it has to come from you and it takes lot of time and hard work.

Good luck, and apologies for the rant,
Shaun :D

Thanks. I'm going to do all that stuff. I'm going to put the site up but just work on the content and articles and link to it from my personal website. I want to get it out there. Maybe I can get some post exchanges. Sooner or later someone will like something on my website and they will start posting more.

Thanks. I'm going to do all that stuff. I'm going to put the site up but just work on the content and articles and link to it from my personal website. I want to get it out there. Maybe I can get some post exchanges. Sooner or later someone will like something on my website and they will start posting more.

If you're looking for a post exchange there's a chap called Ryan who runs a site called Postloop - http://www.postloop.com/

Some people feel they get good value from it and it may be a way to get some content into your board to get you going. Have a look and decide for yourself.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Top Bottom