Start Forum/ Pour Your Heart & Soul Into It..... Then

Sell your 'dreams'?

• Total voters

JerzeeDevil

Sell it to a huge multi million dollar company and lose yourself? Is that the goal now-a-days instead of slip & fall lawsuits?

Thanks for listening (reading).

Yes, that is the goal.

Earlier today this very forum was sold to Johnson & Johnson, the company that makes BAND-AID brand adhesive bandages. I read about it on webhostingtalk.com. There is a lot of speculation over what will happen to it now.

Although I do see many people making a business of starting forums for the purpose to sell, but I don't put those people in the category of pouring their heart and soul into.. I just see it as they having an idea of what people want, and creating a forum, and selling it for profit.

There are some people that do pour their heart and soul into a site and never dream of selling, but they do, but that doesn't make it bad. For some that is just good for the community.

An example, I recently bought another site that was similar to mine, same niche but the admin was busy, never worked on the site, wasn't the owner of the license and the license owner was out of the picture... For me it made sense to merge the sites, so I approached him, offered what I thought was a fair price and he accepted it.

He made money on the deal, but the community didn't change hands in an ugly way.. I merged both sites into one when I moved over to xF. Both communities are better off I believe in the long run.

I do pour my heart and soul into my site, not to make money (I don't even run ads on my site) but because I believe in my site, I believe in what it represents and it helps me be a stronger Christian.

I think in the end the site owner needs to do what is best for them, and sometimes outsiders of that community can't tell or see what is best.. It would be nice if we as a bunch of admins could or would be open about our communities and if we started struggling with the site, we would be willing to reach out to a like type site to take it over or merge it together. What saddens me is when I read about an admin that takes a site offline never to go online again.. They lose the community, the information is gone and it's history that's been built up.

Thank you for listening.. I didn't mean to type this much, but since I just bought/saved a community it hit home for me. :)

Jamie

I do it purely for love - I enjoy creating a little world and making it as fun as I can. I'm only interested in SEO to the degree that, it would be more fun for everyone if we had some new people every now and again. I don't have ads either.

Yes, that is the goal.

Earlier today this very forum was sold to Johnson & Johnson, the company that makes BAND-AID brand adhesive bandages. I read about it on webhostingtalk.com. There is a lot of speculation over what will happen to it now.
I know all too well about J&J.. They actually pay a Brasilian company to make Band Aids now ;) I am from NJ their corporate headquarters.

Yes, that is the goal.

Your joking right? :)

Earlier today this very forum was sold to Johnson & Johnson, the company that makes BAND-AID brand adhesive bandages.
For those of you who haven't encountered mjp, he is of course joking.

It's when he's serious you want to worry... ;)

I do it purely for love - I enjoy creating a little world and making it as fun as I can. I'm only interested in SEO to the degree that, it would be more fun for everyone if we had some new people every now and again. I don't have ads either.
I love what I consider my hobby site. I've nurtured and have watched it grow.
It gives me great satisfaction people thanking me for it occasionally.
I do have ads and am making a little money from it. After spending out of pocket for years, I really can't afford it.
It's nice knowing that hosting and licensing fees are being covered.
Plus it allows me to buy decals in bulk to offer to my our members.

It wouldn't have grown unless I put my heart and soul into it.
Would I sell it? Everything has a price.
Is it the reason I created it? A big N O.

Added: I checked yes. Looks like I'm the only one.
So if someone offered 1 million dollars, they wouldn't sell their forum?

I thought he was asking if that was the goal when we started a forum, not just - does your forum have a price. So here's the deal: if someone offered me a million dollars, I'd sell it to them and split the money with the members of my forum. And then we'd just start up another one. It's not like they'd be buying our brains.

And I'm not knocking anyone who starts them to make money - I'm just saying that wasn't my motivation.

:)

I thought he was asking if that was the goal when we started a forum, not just - does your forum have a price. So here's the deal: if someone offered me a million dollars, I'd sell it to them and split the money with the members of my forum. And then we'd just start up another one. It's not like they'd be buying our brains.

And I'm not knocking anyone who starts them to make money - I'm just saying that wasn't my motivation.

:)
I read it the same way...I never started mine with the idea of selling. Even closed it thinking it was done. But was surprisingly offered some money for the database and after talking it over with the members I still had contact with off the forum, I decided to stripped the database of personal info and then go ahead...but it was only to keep the database and my dream alive.

Those are automated Xrumer spambots.

Here are a few of them which attack 24/7/365 from thousands of IP's.

08:38 AM Guest Creating Thread
New Member Introductions
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=1012&bih=618&q=46.17.100.19 &btnG=Google Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=CGvuAMcnvTNGbOo7EywTZ6cyIDwAAAKoEBU_Q82fn

08:35 AM Guest Logging In
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322) NS8/0.9.6

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=995&bih=618&q=94.181.129.130 &btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

They will never go away.

Okay, then I'll answer the question you intended to ask rather than the question I thought you were asking: no, I'd never start a forum with the intention of making money off it, because there are easier ways to earn a living. Like being an ice road trucker.

Start Forum/ Pour Your Heart & Soul Into It..... Then

Sell it to a huge multi million dollar company and lose yourself? Is that the goal now-a-days instead of slip & fall lawsuits?

I do not see how this is being misinterpreted but I am often accused of speaking LaBellanese ;)

Someone recently made an inquiry about the possible purchase of one of my boards. It would be nice to get a nice lump sum, but then what would I do with my free time? Join Facebook ?

Top Bottom