Stars? What stars?

They say as you get older you get "wiser"... but I'll argue that point.
If that was so... why would one, after jumping off in the deep end of a pool... decide to swim out into the attached bay!.

I'm in the process of accumulating some equipment for several local astronomy groups (schools and then general area). So, since I got a new scope, I just HAD to get a new camera to learn a new processing format. There is a big difference between processing an OSC image (one shot camera - also known as a color camera) and then processing 4-7 captures of the same image but using a different filter.

This is my first attempt with a the new OSC using an Apertura 72mm APO refractor. The image is a portion (albeit large) of the Andromeda Galaxy. I've never processed a color image before.. and this is the first exposure the telescope has to use - it's been sitting boxed for about 2 weeks.

M51_Apertura72mm_ASI533MC_Pro_First_Light.webp

They say as you get older you get "wiser"... but I'll argue that point.
If that was so... why would one, after jumping off in the deep end of a pool... decide to swim out into the attached bay!.

I'm in the process of accumulating some equipment for several local astronomy groups (schools and then general area). So, since I got a new scope, I just HAD to get a new camera to learn a new processing format. There is a big difference between processing an OSC image (one shot camera - also known as a color camera) and then processing 4-7 captures of the same image but using a different filter.

This is my first attempt with a the new OSC using an Apertura 72mm APO refractor. The image is a portion (albeit large) of the Andromeda Galaxy. I've never processed a color image before.. and this is the first exposure the telescope has to use - it's been sitting boxed for about 2 weeks.

View attachment 280294
Really cool. Makes you wonder how big our universe is.. Do you think there will ever be an answer to that?

Really cool. Makes you wonder how big our universe is.. Do you think there will ever be an answer to that?
Not really. The furthest galaxies are now so far away that their light has not reached us and they are receding from us at faster than the speed of light (objects in space cannot move faster than light per Einstein but space itself can expand faster than light) so it never will. However, the visible portion of the universe, ie. what we can actually see from Earth, is a sphere that is something like 93 billion light-years in diameter.

That's awesome. I've always wanted to get into astrophotography. What was the exposure time on that?
180 seconds. It's 60 Ha, 50 SII and 43 OIII filter images stacked.
So total time is about 7.5 hours. The captures were stretched out over a few different nights as I have a limited target view of it due to surrounding trees.

Last edited:
Top Bottom