Stackoverflow style Q&A voting on threads

RickM

I'm looking for something a bit like stackoverflow but in the form of threads. Basically, how I imagine this working is that you set a forum to be a Q&A forum. This then means that any thread posted has an upvote/downvote option on the thread.

As a secondary, but less important feature, an option to upvote and downvote replies.

I've had a look through the resource manage but cant find anything like this - does such an addon exist yet, or do I need to make it myself? :P

I'm looking for something a bit like stackoverflow but in the form of threads. Basically, how I imagine this working is that you set a forum to be a Q&A forum. This then means that any thread posted has an upvote/downvote option on the thread.

As a secondary, but less important feature, an option to upvote and downvote replies.

I've had a look through the resource manage but cant find anything like this - does such an addon exist yet, or do I need to make it myself? :p

I was thinking about this same idea this morning and I don't think anything like this exists. Another implementation option would be to allow users to create a question thread that had the up/down vote layout rather than just having a dedicated forum for it...

You can probably use the Mark best post as answer add-on from @Lior and rename some of its phrases to achieve similar result.

You can probably use the Mark best post as answer add-on from @Lior and rename some of its phrases to achieve similar result.
Ah that'd be good for selecting the answer, so is a good starting point. We'd still need to figure something out to handle up/down voting threads too.

Rick,

Have you considered looking foward a Q&A script ? I mean, its kinda a forum but there are many scripts around with full support to this kind of the site.

Yeah I've had a look through a few. I was hoping to keep it within XF, mainly so people don't have to have another login account. It's been a year or so since I've done any major XF mods, but I think I'll probably end up pursuing creating this as an addon for XF :)

With regards to a Q&A script. I played with Question2Answer some, but decided getting it to work and keeping it working was going to be more trouble than it was worth. I decided to go with the Mark Post plug in instead.

Have any of you found any add ons to fulfill this in the past couple years? As far as I can tell there are still none listed in the Resources section.

On fourth look, it's a little bit closer than I thought. Some things that are different are that it does not have down votes, does not order by number of votes, and does page refresh upon voting, but it does have vote numbers and unvote ability.

Last edited:
On fourth look, it's a little bit closer than I thought. Some things that are different are that it does not have down votes, does not order by number of votes, and does page refresh upon voting, but it does have vote numbers and unvote ability.
Downvotes are a complicated system, I will add them for XF2. It's more difficult than just adding a downvote ability, because that will simply be abused, but it is indeed on my radar. Ordering by votes might be a good idea, I'll see what I can do. The answers are linked in order of votes below the original post though.

Yes, I too believe downvotes may be abused. Stack Overflow allows only users who have gained a certain number of points to downvote. Yes, I see that list of voted-upon posts. And many discussions are in chronological order even if it is Q&A, so perhaps duplicate only the most highly voted answer directly below the question, like Microsoft's support site?

Yes, I too believe downvotes may be abused. Stack Overflow allows only users who have gained a certain number of points to downvote. Yes, I see that list of voted-upon posts. And many discussions are in chronological order even if it is Q&A, so perhaps duplicate only the most highly voted answer directly below the question, like Microsoft's support site?
That's the system I was going to add. A karma system of some sort. But it does require logical thinking, which I'd rather do for XenForo 2. And we already do the last point you made, it is quoted at the top of the thread and made to stand out.

Top Bottom