Sports Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent W

So I was able to grab a great domain, albeit a very risky domain name. Figured it would be worth using xenForo on so I could get used to it.

http://www.espnforum.com/

I guess I'll find out how protective ESPN is of their trademark haha.

If I was to visit your forum looking for sports discussions, I would prob leave as nothing indicates (other than the possibly tm name) that its about sports. I would invest a little bit into a kick-but header design with sports elements, and small sports icons for the categories.

Good luck!

If I was to visit your forum looking for sports discussions, I would prob leave as nothing indicates (other than the possibly tm name) that its about sports. I would invest a little bit into a kick-but header design with sports elements, and small sports icons for the categories.

Good luck!

Yea, that will happen eventually. I just wanted to get something up and see if I was going to get slammed by ESPN before I invested a lot of money into it lol

Definitely do not waist to much time on that site. (or change the name) You will get a C&D real quick. Would be like me starting googleforums.com

Your right, it might not happen soon!

ESPN could very well come after the domain. I've seen a lot of each angle from these corporations smart ass. I have had a family member be sent a certified cease and desist from CrockPot that was never acted on. I run one of the largest Ford Mustang web sites on the web using their trademarked name in my domain. I know people who use Ford in their domain and have run their sites for over a decade now.

So like I said, it depends on the company. ESPN will probably be the exception to the above but it isn't going to stop me from feeling it out for 15 dollars. The software and any design I create for it can easily be adapted to a different domain in the future.

... and also depends on the intent (non-profit fan site versus for-profit commercial site).

Yes, this is the cut of for Ford. Fan sites are fine but selling merchandise is not. One of the largest Mustang parts websites is AmericaMuscle.com which used to be MustangParts.com. Had to change the name due to Ford coming after them.

Oh and I have actually been called by ESPN representatives before. I purchased a domain name that Charles Barkley mentioned on PTI one day. I didn't give it back to them and they never called again. So who knows what will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom