• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Lack of interest Split Thread

Again, sorry if this has already been suggested (I did have a look).
Back in the day before I converted to vB, I used phpbb. If there was one feature I found missing with vB, it was cutting a long thread in half without having to tick dozens of pages.
phpbb's way of ticking just one post (the break point) and moving all posts forward of that point to a different location was ace!
Is this/can this be written into XF? :)

Enigma

Interesting idea. In practice (at least in my experience) I cherry pick individual posts to split to a new thread, as some of the later posts are still replies to the OP.

Peggy

Personally I wouldn't want to cut a thread. Unless of course it's like 200 pages long. Even then I'd have to think hard about it.
What is the purpose other than loading speed?

James

It's a nice idea... I would like to specify a start and end post to split though, which would be useful if a conversation goes off-topic you can specify the first and last off-topic posts and just move the posts between them!

What is the purpose other than loading speed?
TBH I could tell you what I would use it for, but everyone would have their own reasons/way of using it. I have a very fast paced forum (avg. 1 post every 6 seconds, 24/7, peak 1-2 per second), by the time a thread that has got out of hand has been locked for review, we can have dozens of pages that need splitting... or, off-topic splits... or, splitting & splicing whole (or partial) threads to new polls... not to mention that some of our threads are over 4000 pages long.

EQnoble

I support this along with the option to split between post range.

not to mention that some of our threads are over 4000 pages long.
OMG i hope somewhere in that thread there is some advice on aging gracefully :) 4000 pages almost demands a mod for that one thread.. HA ... is your site public private or do you just not promote here.. I ask because I can honestly say I have never seen a thread 4000 pages deep and would have to see that for myself. and to be clear do you mean 4000 pages or posts ... even 4000 posts makes that just a little bit of ridiculousness in a good way.

As of today the longest thread on the forum is 4286 pages long (42,854 posts in one thread :cool:), and believe it or not, the thread was only started 15 months ago. It's nothing special, just a thread some canadian moms started to chat to each other.

I don't tend to advertise my forum, but will PM you the link :D

EQnoble

It's nothing special, just a thread some canadian moms started to chat to each other.

I don't tend to advertise my forum, but will PM you the link :D
Do it do it do it !!! lol not that i have a fetish for snooping on Canadian moms and what-not (or maybe i do:rolleyes:) but I just gotta see how it all loads with that much thread/post data.

UPDATE: (recieved pm) Wow you weren't joking that is about the most ridiculous thread I have ever seen and the fact that its still open and they're still posting is friggin crazy WOW