XF 2.2 Specific thread throws a "Check console error"

JoyFreak

This particular thread, it throws me an "Check console error". It happens sometimes on desktop but all the time on mobile (iOS, iPhone 11). No idea what's causing it and when I look in the console I only see one error in regard to Proxy. No idea if it's a bug? This started happening after 2.2

Last edited:
The underlying thing that is causing the console error is a CloudFlare 520 error.

Difficult to debug exactly as I am only seeing the error personally in Chrome on iOS and their shonky inspector basically just tells me that whatever AJAX request was triggered is actually receiving a response, and the HTML from CloudFlare's error page:

Screenshot 2020-09-28 at 17.50.37.webp

I don't currently believe this to be a bug on this basis but I admit that this is difficult to debug and behaving strangely in terms of being intermittent.

I will move to Troubleshooting for now. The next thing to do is try to ascertain exactly what request is causing the error. It could be add-on related, as the only thing I can think of that can generate an AJAX request on page load is the unfurl system.

Ideally if you can reproduce this consistently in a more "feature complete" browser you want to be looking at both the Console tab and the Network tab of the developer tools. The Network tab (especially if you filter it to XHR requests only) should reveal what specifically caused the error.

@Chris D - I have some specific rate limiting in place on @JoyFreak 's server for him to assist with DDOS protection.

The proxy.php file is being called to the extent on that thread it's triggering the nginx rate limiting. I've split out to have proxy.php on it's own php-fpm pool, not subject to the overall rate limiting in place.

Yeah, I think with Lazy image loading, if you scroll fast enough, it calls proxy.php quite heavily

1601313956145.webp

Not sure why those images aren't being cached though, and being called constantly, that would need @JoyFreak to advise on his proxy caching settings.

These are my proxy caching settings via Admin CP level. No idea why those images aren't being cached, as I've only added
"giphy.com" to the "Bypass only the domains listed below" since 2.2. So not sure what could be causing it otherwise?

proxy.png

Top Bottom