1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spam! Lots of it

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by billybatz9, Aug 13, 2015.

1. billybatz9

billybatz9 Active Member

I am getting slammed with spam. Does anyone have any advice to stop it? At least 10 new registrations a day. I have Q&A captcha right now.
  2. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

It'd be helpful if you gave more details about your spam problem - are they just registrations in the moderate registrations queue or are they getting through and posting spam?

A screenshot of your spam settings would also be helpful.

Also what settings you have for "Minimum Time Between Messages (seconds)" in ACP > Options > Performance and whether you have allowed the bypass flood check permission for any user groups (hopefully you haven't).

Initial suggestions would be:
    • Change your Q&A question. Don't make it something that is easy for everyone to answer, try and make it something that is relevant to your forum. Change it on a regular basis if you continue to have problems with spam registrations.
    • Get a Project Honeypot and Akismet keys and add them to your spam settings (details of these are on the spam settings page in the ACP)
  3. dronetech

dronetech New Member

I have a similar problem.

Brand new forum, tons of users are registering, most of them with gmail addresses (so can't ban the domain), IP addresses belonging to networks in Pakistan, Poland, Russia, etc.

They haven't posted yet, but obviously it's a ticking timebomb.

I have CAPTCHA enabled, and also have Project Honeypot integrated.

Only other options I have are Q&A (but that means I have to disable CAPTCHA), or enable CloudFlare, which can be a pain as well.
  4. Olly Wood

Olly Wood Member

Make sure your questions cannot be answered by Googling, Spam bots can google now.
    eg; "What colour is this text" is a good question, a human would answer Black, a bot would use #000000
  5. Solidus

Solidus Well-Known Member

6. You can try this module CleanTalk anti spam
  7. billybatz9

billybatz9 Active Member

Used this method above and still have a lot of spam. At least 3 new messages a day! If I don't go on my forum daily, it will be covered in spam. Any way around this? I even have it set up using the method above, not allowing links before 3 posts are made, and bots still find a way to post a link without getting banned.
  8. Joe.

Joe. Active Member

9. drastic

drastic Well-Known Member

Try using the spam management tool and insert the most popular words people are spamming you with.
  10. Shiro

Shiro Well-Known Member

Have you tried Trust+? :)
  11. billybatz9

billybatz9 Active Member

I did. it seems to help, but its the links that keep getting through, although i put.
    Any suggestions to stop links from getting submitted?
  12. Solidus

Add http://* as a phrase
    billybatz9 likes this.
  13. billybatz9

billybatz9 Active Member

Solidus, you have a ridiculous amount of posts on WWE Forums (Congraaats!) Are those all real? Or did you help build them? I am starting a new forum and would like to increase post count without manually inputting thousands of posts. Any help would be greatly appreciated
  14. Solidus

Thanks! They are all real, I contributed around 8,000 of them.
    billybatz9 likes this.