Spam control in XenForo

Ripul

Hi,

I am considering moving my VB 4.2.0 forums to Xenforo. My primary reason for migrating from bbpress to vbulletin was spam and vbulletin has miserably failed at it. vBulletin 4.2 is crap and I have already wasted my $285. After installing vBulletin on my VPS. My daily CPU usage has gone up by 200% and bandwidth by 100%. The worst part is that I have to shell out more money in order to get support from VB. Later I found that VB's mail script is easily hacked and 1000's of emails are being sent from my server.

I hope above experience expresses my concerns. I want to make sure that I do not repeat the above mistake and therefore want assurance that XenForo would be able to control spam and keep the CPU+Bandwidth usage under control.

XenForo is very light wight on server resources and bandwidth. The spam features are quite good and in the past 3 weeks, I've seen 2 spam posts get through all the settings we have turned on here and its caught quite a bit more.

Earlier yesterday I upgraded an XF 1.1.3 forum to 1.2.1 that was in the middle of a massive spam infestation (1200 spam posts & dozens of profile spammers) since 15 Aug. When I closed it off for the upgrade the user count was 34, mostly spammers trying to get in.

On 1.1.3 I was running 3 addons for anti-spam: Deny County, XenUtiles, KeyCaptcha. When I made some changes mid August I apparently allowed humans & spammies to access templates not fully set up for KeyCaptcha. *Oops*

1.2.1 is running all vanilla, no addons, with StopForumSpam/Project Honey Pot/Akismet/Recaptcha/timer -- all the standard XF options -- enabled. So far, so good, no spam.

I have two boards still on the 1.2 Betas released after a critical spam fix -- other than reviewing and deleting moderated spammer registerations (most are blocked, a small number get moderated), I have zero spam issues there.

Given all the hassles spammers have given me in the last five years (vBulletin & phpBB as well as XenForo), the 1.2.x releases are by the best in the anti-spam department.

If and when spammers do figure out how to break in to the 1.2.x boards en masse, we have an active developer community that will respond with the addons needed for existing releases to deal with it as they have done in the past.

Last edited:
Top Bottom