Sound Notifications

Given that you only receive alerts when you're active on the page does that not make this redundant? You won't receive new alerts unless you're already browsing the site unless you're using one of the addons to constantly refresh the page in the background.

Quite possibly, hence the comment about unless using an addon. Given the default XenForo behaviour is to only check for alerts while active then I don't understand why they would develop a feature that only really becomes useful if using an addon.

I personally notice new alerts due to the notification in the bottom corner plus the red does stand out when browsing and I very rarely have any kind of volume turned up... just my own 2 cents though.

Something similar is being done by IPS (using the browser notice ability) and they had the "noise" on by default when it was implemented. Was cute the first time or two.. but then it got REALLY annoying REAL fast.

Sound notifications really only work on mobile, any other place they are not welcome. Not sure why people keep bumping this, it wil never ever be added for obvious reasons. The only way to have this is by using an app for the phone and make it send a push notification sound. But that would be part of the app features, not the default XF installation.

Sound notifications really only work on mobile, any other place they are not welcome. Not sure why people keep bumping this, it wil never ever be added for obvious reasons. The only way to have this is by using an app for the phone and make it send a push notification sound. But that would be part of the app features, not the default XF installation.
As I mentioned before, Microsoft's Outlook Webmail has a sound notification. And it really does work very well. It's quite discrete, almost not detectable, but it does the job perfectly (perhaps exactly because it's so quiet).

I can see how this could become annoying on most forums if there were a sound every time you received a 'like' or similar. So by default it should probably only be enabled for more important alerts, like conversation messages.

Actually, there was an add-on for that, but it doesn't work good. That's not a priority feature but it would be good if it could be based on user selection

Top Bottom