Something funny happened when I was helping my neighbors.

Pope Viper

I was helping them tear down a playhouse in their yard, when the roof started collapsing. I managed to get out from it landing on me, but when I fell, I suffered a compression fracture of my L3 vertebrae.

When X-rayed, I was also told that my bone density is too little for my age. So maybe early onsite osteoporosis.

Go in for an MRI tomorrow to see if there are any bone fragments floating around.

I must say, I find this backbrace/walker combination worse then anything the Inquisition came up with.

When X-rayed, I was also told that my bone density is too little for my age. So maybe early onsite osteoporosis.

Oh those radiologists ! Forever trying to diagnose low bone density (osteoporosis) on plain xrays ... when will they learn ?

(1) Fractured L3 ! That's gotta be sore ... hope that gets better soon. Good news: the spine has a tremendous capacity to heal. Hot water bottles and heating pads can help the back pain !
(2) It is very unlikely you fractured your L3 from osteoporosis ... it was from the fall. If your plan is to have less fractures, I'd try avoiding falling vs. improving your bone density ... even if it is a touch low.
(3) You probably don't have osteoporosis. Get your bone density checked (it's easy and cheap). Xrays are the world's worst way to determine bone density.
(4) If you aren't outside alot (not much sun), consider getting your 25-0H-Vitamin D3 (aka Vitamin D, aka Vitamin D3) tested. If you don't want to do the test (just take 2,000 IU of Vitamin D daily)(if you are cautious you might just take 1,000 IU per day). I'd take 2,000. Ask / Double check with your doctor about the Vitamin D thing.
(5) Concentrate on getting your back better. I hope you have insurance !
(6) The most common cause of low bone density (aka Fragility fractures) in a man is excessive alcohol intake. Too much alcohol makes the bones mush. Note: I'm not accusing you, especially because I already "guessed" your bone density is reasonable. :)
(7) Most importantly, I double dare you to wear the Santa hat all year. I hope it didn't get too dirty when you fell.
(8) Get well soon :)

Top Bottom