Add-on Someone PLEASE create a supported portal and media library

SchmitzIT

Is there any coder up for coding a portal and media library that will actually be supported? I really like XenPorta and XenMedia, but I refuse to pay my hard-earned money just for a copyright notice removal but having pretty much every question and/or mail go unanswered.

I am far from the only one in that boat, so there's a lucrative opportunity for someone who actually understands that delivering a good add-on involves more than coding.

Thanks.

Peter

XenPorta/XenMedia/xPortal have enough features for everyone. All of them are free.
If you are ready to pay $X000 or more, I think it is possible. A good Portal need much working hours.

Not criticizing anyone's work; I have a good opinion about the options out there...but, I agree that it would be great to have other options, even if paid.

I am shocked that anyone expects hand holding/special support while using a plugin for free. I understand about your hard earned money, but the developer needs to make some of his own hard earned money as well.

Not to start an argument here, but it is tough to not respond when it is obvious who and what you are talking about.

Before this thread descends into a tit-for-tat argument, the thread starter is well within his rights to request any add-on, even if similar add-ons already exist.

If the discussion starts to veer off into an argument rather than the thread subject, then the posts will be removed.

Maybe there's another option here instead of complaining about Jaxel's support or trying to get someone to code a competing product (which probably isn't going to happen), maybe there's some third-party who is currently offering Xenforo support services who could fill in that gap and offer support for Jaxel's products too?

I am shocked that anyone expects hand holding/special support while using a plugin for free. I understand about your hard earned money, but the developer needs to make some of his own hard earned money as well.

Not to start an argument here, but it is tough to not respond when it is obvious who and what you are talking about.

I would agree with you if it were pretty much any other developer, but this is an extreme case where most requests for support are ignored even when there are known issues. The developer also earns his money from donations, but he can't expect them to keep coming in as more and more people get fed-up with the lack of support (Just a glance at his add-on threads show quite a few people are leaning towards finding a new solution).

While donations are a courtesy and not required by anyone, an equal courtesy should be given to those who donate.

Maybe there's another option here instead of complaining about Jaxel's support or trying to get someone to code a competing product (which probably isn't going to happen), maybe there's some third-party who is currently offering Xenforo support services who could fill in that gap and offer support for Jaxel's products too?

Very unlikely that anyone will support his add-ons for him. xenPorta is a bit problematic for styles due to his markup not following practices used by XenForo, and there a few conflicts with other add-ons.

This thread is on the verge of being closed.

The topic is a request for an add-on, not a discussion on how other developers support theirs.

Is there any coder up for coding a portal and media library that will actually be supported? I really like XenPorta and XenMedia, but I refuse to pay my hard-earned money just for a copyright notice removal but having pretty much every question and/or mail go unanswered.

I am far from the only one in that boat, so there's a lucrative opportunity for someone who actually understands that delivering a good add-on involves more than coding.

Thanks.

Peter

Are you requesting this add-on exclusively for your site? I'm asking because I'm sure many people (including myself) will/can put money into this to get this kind of project kickstarted. I'd much prefer another developer to take a project like this on. If this is an exclusive requested then ignore.

Are you requesting this add-on exclusively for your site? I'm asking because I'm sure many people (including myself) will/can put money into this to get this kind of project kickstarted. I'd much prefer another developer to take a project like this on. If this is an exclusive requested then ignore.

Absolutely not exclusively. First of all, I doubt I could afford something like that by myself, and secondly, there's simply too many people who would love a good supported portal. I'm totally hoping some coder will see the responses to this thread, who will perhaps have had a glance at the other add-ons, saw the number of unsatisfied people in the threads, and who would not mind earning some good money with something like this.

I would buy it for several sites of myself alone, and probably be able to showcase it through our business to additional potential clients, as well. I just cannot see myself doing that at the moment, as I would be ashamed to recommend the available ones (due to the support).

Absolutely not exclusively. First of all, I doubt I could afford something like that by myself, and secondly, there's simply too many people who would love a good supported portal. I'm totally hoping some coder will see the responses to this thread, who will perhaps have had a glance at the other add-ons, saw the number of unsatisfied people in the threads, and who would not mind earning some good money with something like this.

I would buy it for several sites of myself alone, and probably be able to showcase it through our business to additional potential clients, as well. I just cannot see myself doing that at the moment, as I would be ashamed to recommend the available ones (due to the support).

Totally understandable and I would certainly put money into this which hinges on the developer that steps forward. Personally, I would prefer a developer to step forward build the portal and sell it as a premium add-on with support added (that's not to say I would personally need support) but a portal that doesn't conflict with most add-ons and most styles is essential which most if not 99.9% of developers do and go out of their way to accomplish anyway.

<snip> Personally, I would prefer a developer to step forward build the portal and sell it as a premium add-on with support added (that's not to say I would personally need support) but a portal that doesn't conflict with most add-ons and most styles is essential which most if not 99.9% of developers do and go out of their way anyway.
vBadvanced has been able to accomplish that for years. Would also love something similar here.

I'm also in need of a portal/media library with long-term support. I have a number of forums I'd like to migrate from various platforms to XenForo but can't until I find a supported working solution for my needs. I have looked at what's currently on offer but none that I've seen and tested meets my requirements. I'd prefer a paid solution and I would also consider contributing to the development of such a product if anyone is willing to take it on.

What the difference between Xenporta and VbAdvanced? Except the support. It seems that are very very similar products...
From what I've been reading in this thread, I think you answered your own question. :)
I haven't been using Xenporta other than tried it out in a test install so I can't comment on his support other than a question I had asked about the events module has gone unanswered. Not a big deal since it really won't work for me anyway.

Top Bottom