Solid State Drives

SSD's are the same form factor as a laptop HDD.

SSD's would need adapters if all you have is 3.5" drive racks. (i.e. My Samsung drives didn't come with anything but the box they came in and a CD. I don't even think I got screws... I forgot.)

The last PC case I bought, came with 3.5" carriers for HDD's but had slots to attach SSD's.

My current storage system uses:

1) Samsung SSD - OS/Applications
2) Samsung SSD - Local storage of active work.
3) WD 1TB - Local storage of static work

Everything else is stored on a 6TB NAS. (Video/Music/Pictures/Archived Work)

I just use Velco. SSDs are light enough that some decent locking fasteners will keep it in place; and it also gives it some additional vibration support.

Because in the discussion thread they mention different techniques and post their experiences when the SSD doesn't work isn't recognized.

Thanks - I've re-read it from the start and yes it does. Sadly none of it applies to my specific problem but it was interesting reading. Can you post up again when you've got your SSD working, it will be nice to know it all works OK.

I had a crucial 128GB V4 that I put in my old HP Laptop a few months back. Noticed a massive difference, even with an older AMD dual core. I got rid of that laptop in September, and replaced it with a new HP Ultrabook......and it doesn't fit! The Ultrabook takes the smaller 7mm drives, and not the 9mm drives normally used in laptops.

they are extremely fast compared to my old ide drives. was a skeptic at first, and the price was prohibitive for my wallet, but they are more affordable now. got a 120 gb ssd back in june for .. $120? now they are around $80 for the 128gb. all 3 of my pc's have ssd's now. if you want speed, I recommend them.

Sandforce Gen 1 sucked, Gen 2 is good. Stay away from Samsung's 840 series, it's TLC NAND and they perform less than the 830 MLC NAND SSDs. Samsung makes 90% or 95% of all NAND memory. Kingston, SanDisk, Intel, Corsair make top notch drives. I can't comment on Crucial. OCZ just sucks.

I have a small SSD in my work computer, none at home. I use more than 20 HDDs at any time. Can't replace them with SSD.

Sandforce Gen 1 sucked, Gen 2 is good. Stay away from Samsung's 840 series, it's TLC NAND and they perform less than the 830 MLC NAND SSDs. Samsung makes 90% or 95% of all NAND memory. Kingston, SanDisk, Intel, Corsair make top notch drives. I can't comment on Crucial. OCZ just sucks.

I have a small SSD in my work computer, none at home. I use more than 20 HDDs at any time. Can't replace them with SSD.
Apparently the 840 Pro's are the way to go, so I've been reading on overclockers.co.uk anyway.

Apparently the 840 Pro's are the way to go, so I've been reading on overclockers.co.uk anyway.
A few of the models have a slight edge averaging 15-20 MB read/write cycles in controlled testing, but from what I've read, most have noted the 830 performing better. I'm sure it's a firmware issue. However for now, if one must get an SSD, the 830 series is what they should get. Fantastic quality and a relatively low price.

Samsung 830s running Debian Linux and Win 7 all day long with no problems, even with btrfs on the Linux box.

I have a Corsair 120GB one, I got it mostly due to price and good reviews. I really regret not getting a bigger one, cause I ran out of space quick on it, so almost everything is on my 1TB HDD now.

Even before this thread I've been justifying a purchase for my HTPC for a while now, think I'll have to wait until after Christmas though the kids just wouldn't get excited about an SSD they want Barbies and Furbies BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I have been holding off on an SSD for ages though but I think the price has now come down to something a bit more sensible, at least for a 256 anyway. My ideal (STRESS ideal don't have the money ) would be a 256 SSD of some description for OS and apps and another 500GB drive for backups for my HTPC and my other halves laptop.

I really notice the grinding of the HDD's in my rig at the moment, I never used to mind as I was a big OC'er and had some hefty fans to drown out the sound of the HDD's but now I'm looking for something quieter I can really notice them. Also, not that anyone will care, up until about 2 hours ago I was running the 2 drive in my rig as OS and separate backup but with all the reading about SSD decided to raid them (It's amazing how quick W8 installs, took no more than 40 maybe less).

BLEUGH

Amazon held 180 GB and 256 GB models of Samsung's 830 series for 75 and 105 respectively. I also don't like to use SSDs for critical data, which is why I prefer mechanical drives and tape drives over it. I've only had 2 drives fail on me, one a Maxtor and the other a Hitachi. Both a decade ago.

Edit: ^^^ Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales

I really notice the grinding of the HDD's in my rig at the moment, I never used to mind as I was a big OC'er and had some hefty fans to drown out the sound of the HDD's but now I'm looking for something quieter I can really notice them.

I used to sleep with 4 gen 1 WD raptors in RAID in my room.

My mates would come in and they would moan at how deafening they were :confused:

Been using an OCZ Agility 3 for about 8 months now, no problems at all
But you have to make sure the firmware on the drive is up to date, that you have the Sata controller set to AHCI for best performance in the bios, along with appropriate motherboard/chipset drivers.

Drive turned up at 07:45am this morning (excellent service from Crucial again!). Installed and set up.

2012-12-04 07.54.04.webp

2012-12-04 07.53.54.webp

Have just ran the ATTO benchmark test, and I'm getting 280MB/s write, 535MB/s read on it. I've also set the MSATA cache drive to be a separate disc as I don't need to use it for caching files any more, so have an extra 25GB to use on a separate partition.

Because in the discussion thread they mention different techniques and post their experiences when the SSD doesn't work isn't recognized.

Just wanted to follow up on this with a thanks to 8thos for persevering with this despite my initial reluctance to actually listen. Upon further investigation of those threads and then the other info this lead to, I decided to try buying a brand new SATA cable from Hong Kong and with this in place the SSD is suddenly recognised by the Mac, so that will make a tasty upgrade. I wonder how many of the other people suffering with apparently "dead" drives actually just need something as simple as a new cable?

Just wanted to follow up on this with a thanks to 8thos for persevering with this despite my initial reluctance to actually listen. Upon further investigation of those threads and then the other info this lead to, I decided to try buying a brand new SATA cable from Hong Kong and with this in place the SSD is suddenly recognised by the Mac, so that will make a tasty upgrade. I wonder how many of the other people suffering with apparently "dead" drives actually just need something as simple as a new cable?
Thanks. I blogged about it: http://dre-sage.8thos.com/entries/apple-macbook-pro.229/

and I will try to keep that same blog entry updated after I purchase it a Macbook Pro and fiddle around with it.

Top Bottom