Social networking phenomenon, a lifestyle change?

Drky

Looking back, predating any new technologies there was always an 'old' way of doing something. I beta test and try new products, websites, technologies quite often – readily throwing my personal and private life in the open with current shifts towards social interactions.

I stopped briefly, removing a very successful Twitter account, Facebook account and various other social tools due to the issue of privacy but fast forward a few months those technologies are growing stronger, gaining more momentum and becoming central to doing business and communicating with customers, friends and family. I am finding it hard to re-enter the social space as on one end I want to guard my private life as much as I can and two, the social networking scene is growing so fast that my reintroductions into the scene is a lot slower.

How are you all fairing? It seems like to get the best use out of these new social networking tools its more about accommodating it rather than the technology accommodating you. I feel there is a risk of feeling left behind, but really do we have to? Thoughts? Tips? How are you using social networking to your advantage for personal or business?

I'm not using it at all due to the fact that I really don't have the time, but many large companies have their own Twitter and Facebook presences for a reason, because they are after the users on those networks, so there is a lot of potential if you can manage it with software somehow.

I dont like facebook, twitter or any of these mass social networks. Its why I prefer forums, they are more of a targeted social network. I dont care about some random person I knew 10 years ago is doing now (unless you're a hot chick, unmarried and without a boyfriend). I don't care what you had for breakfast. And I don't care how cute your cat is (unless you're a hot chick, unmarried and without a boyfriend)...

I dont like facebook, twitter or any of these mass social networks. Its why I prefer forums, they are more of a targeted social network. I dont care about some random person I knew 10 years ago is doing now (unless you're a hot chick, unmarried and without a boyfriend). I don't care what you had for breakfast. And I don't care how cute your cat is (unless you're a hot chick, unmarried and without a boyfriend)...

My thoughts exactly.... there's a reason we don't "stay in touch" with those people LOL hahahaha

I gave up my facebook account a while ago, and only really use Twitter for business/the ocassional personal comment.

Well, one cannot deny that social networks have changed a lot. Whether they are useful or not is something that depends on the individual. Certainly, they are a good place to reach a lot of people and that's why most products have their own facebook page today. It's a simple (and cheap) way to spread the word about something.

Personally, I don't care much. All my friendships are way older than facebook or twitter, even most of my online-only friendships developed long before and I really don't need fb or twitter to stay in touch. Good old email or instant messaging (or skype / google talk / whatever) does the job well enough.

A real friendship is much more than just hitting the like button when your friend posts what he had for breakfast.

Just because many of us don't use Twitter or Facebook any longer does not mean they are not relevant to a mass audience on the web.

It's certainly a lifestyle change but nothing really new per se. Technology has often re-imagined the ways humans interact, though probably not on such a global scale. My biggest concern with social networking is not the technology itself but the monopoly Facebook has on the market and the information inherent in such interaction.

Bear in mind, I am not necessarily attacking Facebook but the fact that a single company can be in control of all this interactive data. I am worried that the law is way behind the technology and will not protect people in light of these new technologies. This is one of the main reasons I am interested in the Diaspora project (a thread was posted here a while back) and its potential as an open-source alternative to Facebook.

I am avid Facebook user but I am growing more disturbed as the days go on.

Top Bottom