Social Groups for XenForo 1.x [Deleted]

If the group is not a public group, only members of a group see the posts in the new post list. You can't stop that.

So a standard public group will always come up in New Posts, even for members who have not joined the social groups? There has to be a way to stop that.

I would agree that if I am a member of a social group that having them show up in new posts is a good thing, but if I am not a subscriber, I shouldn't.

So a standard public group will always come up in New Posts, even for members who have not joined the social groups? There has to be a way to stop that.

I would agree that if I am a member of a social group that having them show up in new posts is a good thing, but if I am not a subscriber, I shouldn't.
Even if it's a fully public group, if this box is NOT checked
checkbox.webp

Non-members do not see the threads/posts in the new post list because that would be the last thing needed to make it fully public.

Last edited:
@Snog Can you add the following permissions enhancement:

Disallow users (except admin) from changing the category and creating discussion area, group forum, group photo album.

I tried doing this myself through if conditional statements, but it broke the edit function of groups (either they get error about not selecting category or their discussion area and forum get removed).

@Snog Can you add the following permissions enhancement:

Disallow users (except admin) from changing the category and creating discussion area, group forum, group photo album.

I tried doing this myself through if conditional statements, but it broke the edit function of groups (either they get error about not selecting category or their discussion area and forum get removed).
Most of these are already there. And nobody except the group owner and admins have access to the owner tools menu.

But, the owner of the group and admins are the only ones that can change anything anyway. That won't change.

groupperms.webp

And in PHP, this is just about everywhere any editing of a group can take place (no permission error if not owner or admin)...
Code:
if($visitor['user_id'] !== $group['owner_id'] && !$visitor['is_admin']) return $this->responseNoPermission();

If you are able to edit anything for a group without being an owner or admin, I need to know exactly how you're doing it (via PC - don't post that type of thing in public).

Last edited:
I have now 108 Groups.
Already got 150+ Forum nodes excluding forums created from this addon.
Some of the social groups has hundred or thousand members.

Social Group created forums is always having custom permissions set and also every member creates new custom permission and this is slowing down my forum_list.
1512073669790.webp

Any way this can be improve or avoided?

Installing addon, editing node, editing usergroup hugely affected and takes several minutes to rebuild.

This was tested with thousands of members and forums with no major impact on the forum performance. The general effect was the same as making a forum a private forum and adding authorized users to it.

See your PCs.

Social Group created forums is always having custom permissions set and also every member creates new custom permission and this is slowing down my forum_list.
I think this is the reason?
100+ forum nodes with custom permissions and also with every member of the group added which have also custom perm set.

I think this is the reason?
100+ forum nodes with custom permissions and also with every member of the group added which have also custom perm set.
It really shouldn't have an effect on anything. It's a matter of XenForo itself giving a Yes/No to if a user can access a forum. And that's generally quick because it's a user lookup.

Without being able to duplicate the problem, this would be difficult to find, if not impossible.

The add-on was tested with an adult site that had over 1000 groups with thousands of members in those groups, and optimized around that. So, if there's something on your site that hasn't been anticipated or accounted for, I would need a duplicate of your site (like the adult site it was tested on) so I can locate exactly where the problem is.

Reactions: rdn
Nice Thanks!
I'll PM more info about the slow logger or even I can setup dev site to replicate it.

To keep anyone watching this informed, preliminary tests are showing...

Near zero effect on public forum loading and no slow queries caused by the group system.

There is an effect in the back end (admin area) when changing user group permissions, but it is equal to having a large number of forums set as a "Private node" with a large number of authorized users in each forum. It is the rebuilding of the permission cache that slows down the back end when you change the permissions for a user group.

I won't be able to look closer at the back end to see if anything can be done until after Dec. 6th.

I tried this addon on your demo board and I found an issue with "not confirmed" users.
Until I didn't confirm I got a server error every time I clicked on a "request membership" button.

I tried this addon on your demo board and I found an issue with "not confirmed" users.
Until I didn't confirm I got a server error every time I clicked on a "request membership" button.
What error did you get? There are no errors in the admin log.

What error did you get? There are no errors in the admin log.
The overlay said "server error". I can't remember the exact phrase.
You can try to reproduce the error creating a new user and request membership before clicking the confirm link on the email.

Top Bottom