Social Groups for XenForo 1.x [Deleted]

Combining the forum view and the group index are just what I needed for my community! Super excited to see how my members utilize this.

If you're looking forward to future features, I just have a couple of suggestions for things I'd love to see with this someday.
  • Alerts as an alternative to the automatic conversations/pms. They feel less spammy when there's a lot of activity with creating new groups and joining groups.
  • The ability to require admin approval if a member tries to create a group within a specific category
  • Allow us to configure some of the group options to be defaulted to on. For example, I want all the groups to always create a forum, so I'd like to be able to make that option the default so that people don't create groups without a forum.

Edit: Also, I just noticed that the group members tab only displays four members at a time, and then paginates the rest of the list. Can we raise the number of members it will display per page?

Combining the forum view and the group index are just what I needed for my community! Super excited to see how my members utilize this.

If you're looking forward to future features, I just have a couple of suggestions for things I'd love to see with this someday.
  • Alerts as an alternative to the automatic conversations/pms. They feel less spammy when there's a lot of activity with creating new groups and joining groups.
  • The ability to require admin approval if a member tries to create a group within a specific category
  • Allow us to configure some of the group options to be defaulted to on. For example, I want all the groups to always create a forum, so I'd like to be able to make that option the default so that people don't create groups without a forum.

Edit: Also, I just noticed that the group members tab only displays four members at a time, and then paginates the rest of the list. Can we raise the number of members it will display per page?

All good suggestions, I'll put them on the wish list for this add-on.

The number of members displayed is controlled by the number of photos displayed. Raise the 'Photos Per Page' setting in the add-on options.

Hi Snog, nice work!

I'd like to request a couple of enhancements, we can't pull the trigger on implementing something like this unless it has two more features ---

1) the ability to 'invite' users to join a group (which would trigger a PM in their box)
2) the ability to completely hide a group -- including its title -- unless the person is an accepted member of the group. Privacy is critical, we'd like to make it so that a non-member might not even realize that a group exists, unless they were invited.

thanks!

Hi Snog, nice work!

I'd like to request a couple of enhancements, we can't pull the trigger on implementing something like this unless it has two more features ---

1) the ability to 'invite' users to join a group (which would trigger a PM in their box)
2) the ability to completely hide a group -- including its title -- unless the person is an accepted member of the group. Privacy is critical, we'd like to make it so that a non-member might not even realize that a group exists, unless they were invited.

thanks!
Both of your suggestions are already on the wish list for this add-on.

Hi Snog, nice work!

thanks!
Was just going to mention these two things. I have members who have created Facebook groups but would consider moving them to our forum, but these two features probably need to be integrated first for it to work right and make them buy into it.

Secondly, it sounds like when a group is created a XF forum can be created for it at the same time and attached to it, did I read that right? And if so, is the forum automatically set to NOT display in the forum index list so that members don't see it? And do posts from that forum not show up in forum search results except for members who are part of that group?

Was just going to mention these two things. I have members who have created Facebook groups but would consider moving them to our forum, but these two features probably need to be integrated first for it to work right and make them buy into it.

Secondly, it sounds like when a group is created a XF forum can be created for it at the same time and attached to it, did I read that right? And if so, is the forum automatically set to NOT display in the forum index list so that members don't see it? And do posts from that forum not show up in forum search results except for members who are part of that group?
The suggestions in that post are going to be in the next release which should be soon.

When a group is created there is a list of options, the creator of the group has both the option to create a forum and hide or show the content of the threads in that forum to non-members. If they hide the content threads in the forum, new posts shouldn't show in the search results.

The next release can completely hide the forum and make it look like it doesn't even exist.

Awesome I'll keep an eye out. Any idea how far off, rough estimate, the next release might be?
It should have been released already, but I have to smooth out some problems with a major version change for another add-on that was released this week before I release the next version of Social Groups.

Snog updated Social Groups with a new update entry:

Social Groups Update 1.0.3

An update to the Social Groups system has been released. Those that have purchased this add-on, please run sgroups_install.php to install this update.

This update add/fixes these items...
  • Add error phrase when trying to view group threads when not a member
  • Add ability to set default options for groups
  • Add option to create a hidden/invite only group
  • Add user group permissions to create a hidden/invite only group
  • Add members per page setting in add-on options
  • Fix...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I think @insocial is more concerned with importing a large amount of existing data.

The problem from my end is, I never liked or used the group system in any version of vB. As a matter of fact, I disabled it on all of my sites. And except for one good client, I refused all add-on work for the group system. So, it would take a fair amount of work for me to run through everything and figure out what is going on in vB groups to create an importer. What makes it worse is vB3.. I dropped support for vB3 the day they first announced it was EOL. And of course then vB backtracked on that.

I think @insocial is more concerned with importing a large amount of existing data.

The problem from my end is, I never liked or used the group system in any version of vB. As a matter of fact, I disabled it on all of my sites. And except for one good client, I refused all add-on work for the group system. So, it would take a fair amount of work for me to run through everything and figure out what is going on in vB groups to create an importer. What makes it worse is vB3.. I dropped support for vB3 the day they first announced it was EOL. And of course then vB backtracked on that.
I understand. Interestingly your addon style is more similar to the vB3 social groups than other social group addons available for Xenforo.

I understand. Interestingly your addon style is more similar to the vB3 social groups than other social group addons available for Xenforo.
Trust me, any similarity to vB is purely coincidence. If I recall correctly, any mention of vB groups in the request thread for this add-on were not very complimentary. ;)

If you're interested, the entire progress of this add-on from request (June 12th), to release (July 29), is documented here..
http://snogssite.com/threads/xenforo-groups.636/

I'd like to click on 'groups' and then be shown categories, rather than individual groups. It makes me wonder why category exists at all as I cant see it being used anywhere in the screenshots. Can each category have an image?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'd like to click on 'groups' and then be shown categories, rather than individual groups. It makes me wonder why category exists at all as I cant see it being used anywhere in the screenshots. Can each category have an image?

Thanks for your feedback.
The categories are for the Group forum that can be created when the group is created. They are the forum categories that are allowed to contain groups.

Each category can be assigned a new icon for the node display, but not an overall image for display.

If you register on my site, let me know and I'll give you permissions to create groups and you'll get a better idea of how they work.

http://snogssite.com/categories/social-groups.44/

Top Bottom