So you are using xf and you are following a member that might be a problem...

Dean

in memoriam
Sometimes I can sense when someone will be a problem, they follow a pattern. Assuming they are otherwise good people and you simply want to watch them/follow them/stalk them with this new nifty 'follow' feature xf has, I keep asking myself the same question:

Will they behave worse if they know they are being watched, or better?

:confused:

It's just a more convenient way to follow someone.
One can also do it manually.

I'd like to see a stalk feature added, so you can follow potential trouble makers without them knowing.
I was hoping someone would say this, allow certain groups to follow without letting others know they were being followed, possibly stock? Modification?

It's just a more convenient way to follow someone.
One can also do it manually.

No not really easy to follow someone, especially following a few people on a busy forum, especially without staying glued to the forum, at least in the stock vb3 code.

Personally, I don't think being watched would affect them, because their actions are up for public consumption anyways...

I'd like to see a stalk feature added, so you can follow potential trouble makers without them knowing.

Chances are they will still misbehave. It's up to moderators to keep up with messages, and also users to report posts that are troubling.

Chances are they will still misbehave. It's up to moderators to keep up with messages, and also users to report posts that are troubling.

Mmm... With my old gaming forum, we had a bunch of script kiddies, and wannabe hackers who would sign-up, be fine for a while, and then start to act up.

Allowing us to follow their actions without them knowing (Or showing it to people in our feed), would have helped us in monitoring these users, and allow us to take action as things start to get out of hand (Theres always that chance that the staff will miss the start of an issue).

Expecting the worse will bring out the worse in people. You prod someone hard enough whether your officially watching them and/or enticing subliminal provocation tactics it'll work. That said, the community isn't stupid to dig out the bad root.

Expecting the worse will bring out the worse in people. You prod someone hard enough whether your officially watching them and/or enticing subliminal provocation tactics it'll work. That said, the community isn't stupid to dig out the bad root.

I always gave them the benefit of the doubt, though I did monitor them as closely as I could without acting any differently to them until an issue arose. Being able to watch them without anyone knowing would have made it easier, and would have harmed no one, and possibly have saved time in dealing with issues.

lol I've been accused of persecuting members because I looked at their profile page, and (in a separate instance) for moving a thread after they posted in it. So I pretty much won't be able to follow anybody on my forum without having a bottle of aspirin handy lol

lol I've been accused of persecuting members because I looked at their profile page, and (in a separate instance) for moving a thread after they posted in it. So I pretty much won't be able to follow anybody on my forum without having a bottle of aspirin handy lol

I think you had paranoid users. :confused:

Oh they are SO paranoid lol. Cause I can't be arsed to sit around all day following a member around. But they will definitely THINK I do lol

I've been accused of the same, because I was able to quickly deal with the problem members had started.

I loved how close my old community was; out of ~2000 active members, about 60% of them knew how to contact me in case of an emergency. (Which was needed a lot with all the DDoS attacks we dealt with).

Top Bottom