So many people replying to the conversation emails..

ekool

Anyone have any ideas on what phrases to change or a modification to install to make it more clear to members that if they "reply" to the notification email for a conversation that the recipient will NOT receive it and that it goes to our system inbox?

I see NO mention of that in the email. vBulletin had it and XenForo does not and I'm getting flooded with them.

You can edit the phrases to adjust the text.

Search for phrases containing 'email', for example, conversation_reply_messagetext_email_text.

In addition to what brogan said this is useful and worked for me:

I edited Options> Email Options > Default email sender name to Do not reply - use the link in the email

That way they get a big Do not Reply in the email from column

The other thing they need to know is that they must visit the forum or they don't get any more notifications. Some people just read the email, then wonder why they are no longer getting notified as the thread progresses.

IMHO the best option is to set the setting not showing the conversation message in the e-mail so you force them to visit the forums upon receiving e-mail. It has done wonders for me. (and it's a option of Xenforo :))

IMHO the best option is to set the setting not showing the conversation message in the e-mail so you force them to visit the forums upon receiving e-mail. It has done wonders for me. (and it's a option of Xenforo :))
I tried that and got a lot of complaints.

Yep! I started doing this the first time I got a spam attack through private messaging (back when I was on vBulletin). All those spam PMs turned into spam emails that I sent out to the members! Not getting people replying via email to private messages is just the icing on the cake of making this change.

Also for the upside it will make them visit your site and browse some threads because they are already online.

@Mermaid The complaints will fade. Now what will you do if a member complains he mailed back but the person intended did not receive the message? Either way they will think it's your fault :)

Top Bottom