So I finally figured out the XenForo permissions system

what about my moderators? Do I use the Moderators and Administrator tabs?
View attachment 51920
The Moderators and Administrators tabs are for adding/removing moderators and administrators. Adding someone to the Administrator or Moderator/Super Moderator groups does not make them an admin or a mod. These groups can be used to control all forum permissions that you might want to give to admins and mods. This can be useful for mods rather than setting these permissions for each mod in the Moderator tab. Admins don't have any forum permissions in the Administrator tab, the permissions there are for stuff in the ACP.

so, I can delete those user groups from my site?
View attachment 51922
You can delete the Super Moderator group if you don't want it but not the Moderator group as it's a default one and won't let you.

As I said, you may find the moderator group useful. All my mods have the same permissions so I added them to this group rather than assign any permissions individually when they were added to the Moderator tab.

Thanks for a great discussion!

For those of us who are vB refugees with 18 Usergroups and 72 nodes, can you suggest the best approach for mass-editing users' groups (IF user's primary group is ACME, change primary to Regsitered with ACME as a secondary)?

What about mass editing node permissions? If I want to apply (copy/paste?) a certain set of usergroup permissions to 40+ nodes?

I'd like to get this cleaned up as tidy and smoothly as possible, but I can't edit 6k members and 72 nodes x 5+ groups manually. I know we're a tiny board compared to many here, so there has to be a tool or plan for this.

Am I stuck trying DB edits, or is there a better way?

Thank you :)

1.2 includes the ability to batch update users.

There is no mass node permission copy function - you will need to set those up individually.

All members should be in the Registered group as the primary.

I wonder if this is why my attemps to set permissions is more difficult than herding cats. None of my UGs have secondary groups - all of my UGs have only a primary UG and that group is it.

That got me a step closer Brogan thanks for that link. If I understand correctly, is my first step assigning all UGs to the Registered Group? Is it as "simple" as that? When I had quite a few permissions in various UGs ticked as Never, but now have them all back as Not Set, did that remedy that, or did i somehow "lock" those permissions down and have to wave a magic wand to get back to square one? I'm not being facetious, just trying to be honest about my confusion.

...If I understand correctly, is my first step assigning all UGs to the Registered Group? Is it as "simple" as that? ....

I was going to roll the dice and start moving all users from my various groups into the Registered UG as their Primary UG, but I do not see how to do this other than 1 user at a time. But I know there has to be a way other than that. how can I do it on a group-wide basis?

Yes, move all members to the Registered group as the primary.

Then just add them to secondary groups as required.

Don't use Never, it can't be overridden by Allow.

Batch update users in 1.2 can be used to mass move members.
Or you can delete user groups and any members with it as their primary will revert to the Registered group.

@Brogan
1. I understood correctly that if I delete a group, it does not delete its users but only the settings of the group, and all registered users in the group become "registered users"?

2. I did a batch update for all users on the site that will be defined as registered users, but still have the caption "New member" under their name. that's how it's supposed to be?
I will mention all I did migrating from the PHPBB forum, and there are users who already have hundreds of posts, and still appear to be New member.

I would love an explanation, thank you very much. Really appreciate your work.

1. I understood correctly that if I delete a group, it does not delete its users but only the settings of the group, and all registered users in the group become "registered users"?
Deleting a user group doesn't delete members.
The members will remain in the Registered user group as the primary.

2. I did a batch update for all users on the site that will be defined as registered users, but still have the caption "New member" under their name. that's how it's supposed to be?
I will mention all I did migrating from the PHPBB forum, and there are users who already have hundreds of posts, and still appear to be New member.
That is a user title - unrelated to user groups.

Top Bottom