Duplicate [duplicate] SMTP with AWS SES not working: wrong version number

Marcus

Affected version
2.3.0 beta 4
[*]Symfony\Component\Mailer\Exception\TransportException: Email to from failed: Connection could not be established with host "ssl://email-smtp.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com:587": stream_socket_client(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages: error:0A00010B:SSL routines::wrong version number
[*]src/vendor/symfony/mailer/Transport/Smtp/Stream/SocketStream.php:154
Stack-Trace
#0 [internal function]: Symfony\Component\Mailer\Transport\Smtp\Stream\SocketStream->Symfony\Component\Mailer\Transport\Smtp\Stream\{closure}(2, 'stream_socket_c...', '/srv/...', 157)
#1 src/vendor/symfony/mailer/Transport/Smtp/Stream/SocketStream.php(157): stream_socket_client('ssl://email-smt...', 0, '', 60, 4, Resource id #44)
#2 src/vendor/symfony/mailer/Transport/Smtp/SmtpTransport.php(251): Symfony\Component\Mailer\Transport\Smtp\Stream\SocketStream->initialize()
#3 src/vendor/symfony/mailer/Transport/Smtp/SmtpTransport.php(194): Symfony\Component\Mailer\Transport\Smtp\SmtpTransport->start()
#4 src/vendor/symfony/mailer/Transport/AbstractTransport.php(72): Symfony\Component\Mailer\Transport\Smtp\SmtpTransport->doSend(Object(Symfony\Component\Mailer\SentMessage))
#5 src/vendor/symfony/mailer/Transport/Smtp/SmtpTransport.php(136): Symfony\Component\Mailer\Transport\AbstractTransport->send(Object(Symfony\Component\Mailer\SentMessage), Object(Symfony\Component\Mailer\DelayedEnvelope))
#6 src/XF/Mail/Mailer.php(301): Symfony\Component\Mailer\Transport\Smtp\SmtpTransport->send(Object(Symfony\Component\Mime\Email))
#7 src/XF/Job/MailSend.php(37): XF\Mail\Mailer->send(Object(Symfony\Component\Mime\Email))
#8 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(272): XF\Job\MailSend->run(8)
#9 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(202): XF\Job\Manager->runJobInternal(Array, 8)
#10 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(86): XF\Job\Manager->runJobEntry(Array, 8)
#11 job.php(43): XF\Job\Manager->runQueue(false, 8)
#12 {main}

my server said:
my server said:
MySQL-Version10.11.7 (10.11.7-MariaDB-2ubuntu2)Server-Softwarenginx/1.24.0PHP memory_limit128MPHP post_max_size8MPHP upload_max_filesize2MPHP max_input_vars1000PHP max_execution_time30cURL-Version8.5.0cURL SSL-Version
my server said:
OpenSSL/3.0.13OpenSSL-VersionOpenSSL 3.0.13 30 Jan 2024
other than suhosin, all is on.

I use Ubuntu 24.04 (beta)
Code:
# openssl version
OpenSSL 3.0.13 30 Jan 2024 (Library: OpenSSL 3.0.13 30 Jan 2024)

It's been fun getting 2.3B4 to work with the various operators I have been trying to switch to these days. More on that here. Brevo looks really fun to use if you have low mail volume (<300 per day is basically free).

SES does work for me with this setting: TLS with Port 2465. No other port worked for me with either TLS or SSL. This user says SES works for him with Port 465 on TLS.

OpenSSL 3.0.2 15 Mar 2022 (Library: OpenSSL 3.0.2 15 Mar 2022)

I use port 587 (TLS) with hostname: email-smtp.[REGION].amazonaws.com:587. Worked the years before fine. Amazon SES is basically free, if you pay you will have such a high income the SES-fee does not matter at all.

Yeah. I was also using the SES's default recommended port on 2.2 but I had to experiment a bit to get it working on 2.3 Beta and 2465 worked for me. And I still cannot get Zoho ZeptoMail to work on it 😶. I mostly posted here coz you mentioned Beta 4. Xenforo made a switch something new called Symfony for email in 2.3.

Last edited:
Does XF 2.3 support Symphony's integration with 3rd party transports ( SES, Mailgun, Mandrill etc. ), or only it's built-in transports ( Sendmail, SMTP )? I'm not testing 2.3, so cannot see config options etc

The admin error log reports stuff from src/vendor/symfony/mailer/Transport/Smtp/ so it uses Symphony's integration it seems. I have no idea how it actually works though.
Yeah. I was also using the SES's default recommended port on 2.2 but I had to experiment a bit to get it working on 2.3 Beta and 2465 worked for me. And I still cannot get Zoho ZeptoMail to work on it 😶. I mostly posted here coz you mentioned Beta 4. Xenforo made a switch something new called Symfony for email in 2.3.
Interesting that other ports work out. I have setup my server with only a few ports open, so I prefer to keep everything as standard as it gets. For security it helps using different ports like you do.

Top Bottom