XF 1.5 SMTP multi-threading

tr1cky

Hello,

I noticed sending mails with the "Email Users" feature and using an SMTP server is very slow.
Yesterday it took a bit more than 4 hours to send a mail to ~10000 users.
Is there any way to speed this up, maybe by getting xenforo to open multiple smtp connections to my smtp host?

Regards

tr1cky

There is no option for that.

The time you have quoted is perhaps a little on the slow side - it works out to approximately 42 emails per minute, which is around 1.5 seconds per email.
Bear in mind that for each email there has to be connection establishment, encryption, packet exchange, etc.

You could try using the default (PHP) method with an external service such as Google Apps, which would offer better performance than SMTP, as the emails are handed off asynchronously.

Would you also mind posting in this thread?
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/mass-email-using-smtp-data-wanted.113865/

You could try using the default (PHP) method with an external service such as Google Apps, which would offer better performance than SMTP as the emails are handed off asynchronously.
I tried to use ssmtp to relay php mail to my external mailserver. This however felt equally slow.

Since I'm using my own VPS with mailcow I don't know if that would help.
But if you'd like to know: It's a VPS from hostus.us with 1 vCPU, 768MB ram and 20gb hdd.

Are you aware of alternatives to ssmtp that handle mail asynchronously?
I already tried nullmailer but nullmailer includes some extra headers that are exposing the backend IP.
Is exim4 sending asynchronously when you configure it to relay mail?

Top Bottom