Lack of interest Smilies Per-Style

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Onimua

Sorry if it's been mentioned before; couldn't find a thread about it.

Is it possible to keep the settings currently found in the Smilie Manager, but in in Style Properties (under General), be able to override the smilie directory for that particular style?

Right now smilies are completely separated from styles. Yes, you can change it in the ACP but it's a global setting for smilies, which is fine if you're working only with one style. However, if you're working with or using multiple styles, especially themed ones that involve more than color changes, to make it completely seamless theme down to the smilies doesn't always work.

One of the other reasons for this wanting this is that I've seen designers include their own smilie pack for other software, but that still requires the user to either overwrite the images in the default style's folder (as that is where the image path for smilies is set to), or edit each smilie to use a different path. I can see the same thing happening here.

Upvote 4
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I did this back on vbulletin using replacement variables and my co admin did it back a long time ago when I used invisionfree using javascript. I'm not sure whether (out the box) this is possible.

I did the same thing with vB as well. I looked for something that might help with this scenario in the ACP but didn't find it.
frown.png

I did the same thing with vB as well. I looked for something that might help with this scenario in the ACP but didn't find it. :(

I'm almost sure there isn't one. You could always kill two birds with one stone and request for some kind of replacement variable feature, or request it in the addon request section. I also used it to change instances of "shelly" to "shelley" due to the constant typos people made with my name. Though people with shelly in their surname and first then had their names incorrectly showing. Atleast mine was correct which was my goal at the time.

Anyway, I'm almost sure this can be done through javascript and I may even still have the script on my hardrive though chances are it wouldn't work due to it being very old code.

I'm sure if I did some trickery with jQuery that could work though I'd like avoid it and reserve JS for more important actions.

As for the replacement variable, can't you use the word censor for that? Don't think it would work on smilies, though... Even then, between this and what you suggested, it's still a really whacky way to go about trying to get it to work (not to mention how complex it gets when you start using multiple styles).

I'm sure if I did some trickery with jQuery that could work though I'd like avoid it and reserve JS for more important actions.

As for the replacement variable, can't you use the word censor for that? Don't think it would work on smilies, though... Even then, between this and what you suggested, it's still a really whacky way to go about trying to get it to work (not to mention how complex it gets when you start using multiple styles).

I agree.

I personally liked how the replacement variable manager worked. Input source >> Output destination. Simplicity and works effectively well. It's a feature I would definitely like to see but not essential to me.

While we are on the subject of smilies and how they are used in XF, I'd not mind seeing a bulk-import option for those of us who happen to have large sets of smilies. I cannot see myself manually adding several dozens of smileys when I transfer (nor doing it manually now). For the time being, I'm thinking of doing the bulk-import by means of a self-developed SQL script, but it might be good to have something more robust than that.

Also, the OP mentioned being able to set smilie paths in the ACP. I have been trying to look for it, but have come up blank so far. Is anyone able to lift a tip of the veil for me, please?

Also, the OP mentioned being able to set smilie paths in the ACP. I have been trying to look for it, but have come up blank so far. Is anyone able to lift a tip of the veil for me, please?

When you log into your ACP (on the Home tab), look on the right panel and you can't miss it. ;) It's right under Options. Once you click it, you can then edit them. Unfortunately, you'll have to edit the smilie directory for each individual smilie and not all at once (again, something I wish could be done).

When you log into your ACP (on the Home tab), look on the right panel and you can't miss it. ;) It's right under Options. Once you click it, you can then edit them. Unfortunately, you'll have to edit the smilie directory for each individual smilie and not all at once (again, something I wish could be done).

Thanks. I did see that :) I thought you were talking about a specific imagepath setting of some sort.

I've started working on a small app that I'll release here soon so you can import multiple smilies. The idea is to point it at a path where you store your smilies (locally, as I imagine you'll upload the smilies as well, and thus have a local copy of them), the server-side path you want to install the smilies to (which is the path used in the database), and the app will do the rest. There's a few disadvantages to it (as in the app will add a replacement-name similar to the name of the smiley), but at least it won't be a manual process, and adding other terms later on ought to be easy enough :)

I'll upload it whe it's done (PC only, ny the way).

Thanks. I did see that :) I thought you were talking about a specific imagepath setting of some sort.

I've started working on a small app that I'll release here soon so you can import multiple smilies. The idea is to point it at a path where you store your smilies (locally, as I imagine you'll upload the smilies as well, and thus have a local copy of them), the server-side path you want to install the smilies to (which is the path used in the database), and the app will do the rest. There's a few disadvantages to it (as in the app will add a replacement-name similar to the name of the smiley), but at least it won't be a manual process, and adding other terms later on ought to be easy enough :)

I'll upload it whe it's done (PC only, ny the way).
Sounds like a nice app. :) But yeah, not having a central setting for smilies, or even having them per-style is a small setback.

Top Bottom