Skywarn Forum

Shawn Gossman

Skywarn is a volunteer national US organization of the National Weather Service. Member are trained volunteers who report severe weather for the local area to help increase the warning system. When listening to a weather radio and you hear "spotters have confirmed a tornado" or something similar, that is Skywarn trained spotters confirming it.

As of a few weeks ago, the largest Skywarn forum online was powered by vBulletin 3.8 and the second largest online was powered by IPB 4.0.

I have since acquired the vBulletin one, merging it into XenForo and then merged the IPB one into the same XenForo creating the largest Skywarn forum on the XenForo platform and knocking out any significant competition.

Skywarn Forum is the result

Stats:
  • Discussions: 8,965
  • Members: 5,995

Forum is using a PixelExit theme (Modest) using the red components to match the color brand of the Skywarn organization. Addons include who has been online in 24 hours, media manager, extended like system, tiaga chat pro, tapatalk and nodes as tabs.

Hope you all enjoy it :) Now the biggest Skywarn forum online is using XF and I am glad it is!

If you tell me where in Ohio you are from (city), I can give you more accurate information.

However, you can also go to: Organization - NOAA's National Weather Service which displays the NWS Weather Forecast Offices for each WFO-region in the US. Choose the office of your forecast area.

For example, I have chosen Wilmington, OH weather forecast office at Wilmington, OH On that page, we simply click the Skywarn bottom at the bottom or go to the actual training schedule page at Spotter Training Schedule where classes will be listed

Usually classes are held in the early spring

However, you can also train online for free at https://www.meted.ucar.edu/training_course.php?id=23 Most NWS offices will recognize this training. After you complete it, you might need to forward an email/certificate to your local NWS office so they can add you as a local spotter

I hope that helps. If you have additional questions, please ask them! And as always, feel free to join the forum for more information - you don't have to be a spotter to join!

Top Bottom