[Site Suggestion] Resource Area (breakdown)

Shelley

With october 5th looming I'd like to propose and suggest breaking down the areas in the resources area (unless you have it planned already). Separated by the following...

- Graphics
-- Status Icons
-- Emoticons
-- Misc
- Styles
- Add-ons

This would reduce clutter and allow the resources to be kept in a neat and organised fashion without graphics getting lost in styles, styles in add-ons etc etc.

Edit: Another suggestion which I'll also add to the first post of this thread is that customers should only be allowed to download & submit resources in the resources area. If this is under consideration and running through the thoughts of the devs minds it's best doing it sooner rather than later as it will become more difficult to reverse such a decision if remained to long.

I think I remember volleying with Peggy about this in another thread, Ill look for it.

edit:http://xenforo.com/community/threads/question-the-resource-forum.3780/#post-58518

That seems to be a topic asking if it would be okay to post a css resource thread. I think this is classed under something different as the structure of the forum is the suggestion not what is allowed to be posted. I know peggy mentioned something but it's buried half way down the thread.

The OP is just a guideline of course with progressive dialogue the list can be refined. I'm just thinking before 5th oct so resources aren't cluttered and the longer it's left the most posts and threads will need moving to the appropriate forums when they are created. A tedious task I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Yeah that's why I had to look for it for ref. purposes. This is something that should get done though for sure. Clutter detracts from the designers threads .

How do you feel about prefixing thread titles in there as well such as, [Emote]Fresh-smiles to be easily search-able.

How about we add a technical forum to your list Shelley, where developers can go and ask if stuck.
Community Tech Advice
I like it.

Another suggestion which I'll also add to the first post of this thread is that customers should only be allowed to download & submit resources in the resources area. If this is under consideration and running through the thoughts of the devs minds it's best doing it sooner rather than later as it will become more difficult to reverse such a decision if remained to long.

Yep we've talked about the resources forum, and how to categorize everything.
I'm working on 'em (the guys, that is).

I'm wondering if it would be benficial to have the resources area hidden from the forumhome and have tabs to the right above the following links: "Shelley, Inbox, Alerts, Log Out". Just thinking out loud. The resource area could become bulky and saving forumhome spacing is vital imo. I'm sure with Kier and mike's magic the structure will be appropriate.

If they did that, I think I'd rather see them in the same line with those links, and leave that header space for logos, ads, etc.

In other words, next to the Help link, have the Resources dropdown, where when clicked on, you'll see Styles, Add-ons, Graphics (just like you see Mark Forums Read, Watched Threads, What's New, when you click on Forums).

Yep we've talked about the resources forum, and how to categorize everything.
I'm working on 'em (the guys, that is).

It's called a "royal we" and crack that whip!

Have a product in development that I think would benefit, i.e wouldn't be totally lame, hooked into Xen .... may need to ask loads of questions about the various hooks, ajax calls, routines etc :)

If they did that, I think I'd rather see them in the same line with those links, and leave that header space for logos, ads, etc.

In other words, next to the Help link, have the Resources dropdown, where when clicked on, you'll see Styles, Add-ons, Graphics (just like you see Mark Forums Read, Watched Threads, What's New, when you click on Forums).

I have to disagree, You would enforce a cluttered navbar. Remembering this isn't a suggestion to include in the stock product but a structure to be placed here at xenforo.com. In short, this suggestion doesn't affect the product it only applies to the xenforo forum itself specifically the resources area.

Which leads to another problem. If the forum looks different from the stock product potential customers might think this is what they'll get in the stock product when they wouldn't. Perhaps some features regarding resources they might but I'm sure some they won't which is one downfall for having the resources here and not a separate domain where you can show what xenforo is capable of and go wild but keep things practical at the same time.

I'm sure something will be bashed out. Just looking at the issues there are with having resources on the xenforo domain. Just as much as there will be issues if it was separated.

Which leads to another problem. If the forum looks different from the stock product potential customers might think this is what they'll get in the stock product when they wouldn't.
I was going to make the same point and also mentioned it on another post with regards to another issue which would have resulted in XenForo being different to an out-of-the-box install.

It's a tricky one to handle.

From a personal preference though, I would much rather everything official was right here in one place.

I was going to make the same point and also mentioned it on another post with regards to another issue which would have resulted in XenForo being different to an out-of-the-box install.

It's a tricky one to handle.

From a personal preference though, I would much rather everything official was right here in one place.

It's a tough one. But I know how much kier wants to handle resources on the same domain. I can see the reasoning behind his thinking and it does have benefits. A closer community with resources on the same forum. I'm sure I mentioned about same login username and password that would span across to a modification site where all credentials are the same as xenforo. It's an option whether it's practical is another story but it's something worth considering further down the road.

The resource area as far as I am concerned will be the area I'm deeply involved in so it's the area I feel I can throw most of my suggestions. If we can get this area right and functioning in a way that it's both innovative and practical i'll be happy.

Well one obvious solution would be to have the resources section as e.g. resources.xenforo.com

It would be a simple matter to create mirrored accounts from here to there on registration (and as an import for all currently registered members).

That avoids the separate domain issue but also allows you to separate the "official" forum from the resources forum/site.

I'm sure M.A.K. (or "The MAK" as I like to refer to them :D) have it all in hand though.

For some reason this makes the most sense...but could you have the whole permissions system to allow only members/customers to access the resources and have it running as a subdomain? I never tried anything like that.

I'm sure M.A.K. (or "The MAK" as I like to refer to them :D) have it all in hand though.

I assume they haven't or at least that will be my mindset on this matter. Although Kier & Mike will implement something wonderful they won't think of everything that will be 100% effective. That's where we come in bashing out ideas, suggestions and productive brainstorming. Refined ideas (already proved here) have refined good features into great features. Same rule applies to the resources area.

I'll be sticking my neck out on this one. :)

Whelp I'm pretty sure that they already have something in mind but, as always, suggestions sure don't hurt. :)

I've already asked for a structured forum section for mods, tweak, designss etc - categorised so we can find stuff better.
Unfortunately I just got fluffed with there there the guys will have something planned.

They probably have but then again they might not. WE trust them sure, very much so. But BLIND trust is something else. We're invited here to make suggestions and help hammer out solutions.
If they have a plan ready then there is interest in either hearing about the plan, or seeing it done. Now - see below for why the urgency.
If it's all part of the surprise next week then fine. But if not then it needs attention urgently.

It better get done double quick. Otherwise as Shelley says you forum mods are going to be slogging away disentangling 1000s of posts to categorise them later. Which will only get worse as each week's load comes in. Right during a period of peak support for the core product. Oh dear.
Much better to start structuring that area NOW before the mess goes any further, and before the core explodes on Tuesday. The board is already bursting with threads and posts about mods and designs but it's all going to get lost in a massive muddle of old posts - spread across lots of sectors.

To start with it only needs to be a fairly simple split. Even if it were just
Resources:
... Graphics,
... Styles,
... Add-Ons,
... Tweaks,
... Admincp,
... Misc
... and Discussion.
With its own Suggestions forum for each type. Leaving the current Suggestions strictly for the core product.
That wouldn't take long to set up - 14 subforums! Which are just two types so create 2 and duplicate. Mods start herding any new talk on mods into these.
Then later it can be improved but at least improvement would have a crudely tidy base from which to work.

Top Bottom