XF 2.2 Site hacked, files deleted, would recovering media files later break a new upgrade?

SurferJon

Hi, my website was hacked last week and all files were deleted. The databases were not touched.

I just upgraded my forums from XF 1.4 to the latest version. Of course, there's no longer any avatar images, forum attachment images, etc. because all the media files were deleted. The forums are currently closed so members can't make new posts or anything.

Right now I'm in the process of figuring out if the deleted media files can be recovered. If I am able to recover anything, would I simply be able to put the media directories back in the future? Or does the media somehow need to be upgraded with the rest of the forums?

Basically I'm trying to figure out if I can open my forums now and put the media files back later (IF they can be recovered) or if opening the forums now would mess all that up. For example, something theoretical like the old media files might lose their attachment IDs if new attachments are uploaded in the meantime.

Thank you!

The directory content isn't changed during an upgrade so in theory, assuming the database content has been preserved, restoring the files should suffice.

You can confirm everything is working as expected by checking the ID in the DB and on the server for a newly uploaded attachment.

Top Bottom