Fixed  Singular/plural problem when only 4 likes

So you want them to check if more than 1 thanks is applicable, and select the proper phrase to display?

:confused:

you 2 know much more about these things than I do, simple fast and clean are my priorities.

I really have no opinion, just stating my concerns as these types of things show up. Especially if this level of detail is to be translated into multiple languages, and possibly dialects.

really, if there's only one other it should just show the name, if more than one than it should say there's more. but depending on how they've coded this, it might be a little fiddly

Yeah I completely understand what you're saying Abomination, it seems almost useless because it's 1 character. You could just do this with JS or a simple conditional statement in the like.php (assuming that's the file).

I personally am not bothered about it, but I suppose pedantic people pick out these things and it would look better/professional. It's amazing what things people can judge things on.
@Disjunto, but then when there's 4 (standard 3 + 1 other) there's still going to be one other, unless you remove the 4th one when the 5th person likes it.

Shouldn't be to hard to fix.

It's actually significantly more complicated and involved than you think, when you have to take into account how other languages form the plural—by no means is it as easy as adding an "s" to the word— and the fact that some languages have more than just singular and plural like English does. For example, there are also dual, trial, and paucal grammatical numbers in some languages. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammatical_number

Having said that, in this particular problem, we could apply a different solution: Edit: Just noticed that others hit on this solution as well. :)
  • A likes this.
  • A and B like this.
  • A, B, and C like this.
  • A, B, C, and D like this. <== just show the name of the 4th person. It will take the same space as saying "1 other" anyway.
  • A, B, C, and 2 others like this. <== with 5 or more, revert back to naming 3 people and saying "and x others".
  • A, B, C, and 3 others like this.

Top Bottom