Resource icon

Simplified Chinese 1.5

No permission to download
Hi, will you or do you know if anyone will be offering a conversion for traditional Chinese? If not, how do I go about making a request for this? Thanks.

Hi, will you or do you know if anyone will be offering a conversion for traditional Chinese? If not, how do I go about making a request for this? Thanks.
If you're looking for an automatic conversation from this file (simplified characters to traditional), you should read those two pages:
Most of scripts will convert a simplified character with one traditional character... but a simplified character can "simplify" several traditional characters with a different meaning.
For example this method can't be used (or the results could be very curious sometimes):
PHP:
    public static function simple_to_trad($simple) {
        $simple = iconv("utf8", "gb2312", $simple);
        $simple = iconv("gb2312", "big5", $simple);
        $trad = iconv("big5", "utf8", $simple);
        return $trad;
    }

It seems the mediawiki is using characters and words, which is already better (see the conversation table here). I remember that the converter of Microsoft Word is also quite effective.

But the problem described on stackoverflow remains. There are some vocabulary differences between some areas/countries. And it seems when the semantic field is about "new technologies" those differences can be very important (a word in PRC would not have this meaning in Taiwan, for example 計算機, in PRC it can be a calculator or a computer, in Taiwan it's only a calculator).

Conclusion: even if the conversion of this language file is possible, it won't be accurate unless a native speaker checks it. This person will also needs to have an expertise in new technology and especially in Internet Script such as forum/portal.

Can not install on 1.2.4 what is wrong with it?
The provided file was not a valid XML file. Please provide a valid XML file.
---------
I get it, it should be extracted to xml file.

Last edited:
Top Bottom