l3ta

The social media giants prefer to use sign up rather than register. Should we follow suit?

It doesn’t bother me, but if it did I would change the phrase. I think they mean exactly the same thing.

but would prefer,for example, the registration form rather than the signing up form.

It doesn’t bother me, but if it did I would change the phrase. I think they mean exactly the same thing.

but would prefer,for example, the registration form rather than the signing up form.
I changed the phrase to sign up on my site just in case some social media user lands by accident :-p

The social media giants prefer to use sign up rather than register.
Probably they had some research and found out that people less like to register because it sounds boring and more like to sign up because it ... something. )

Maybe you could have a notice explains that register means the same thing as sign up. That way not only do you get a new member, but you get one who is better educated because they just learned not only a new word but one with more than two syllables.

It may also help if they want a bank account one day because they will know which button to click on or tap.

Last edited:
Probably they had some research and found out that people less like to register because it sounds boring and more like to sign up because it ... something. )
I bet they did. They invest a lot of $$$ researching the online brain :-0

Top Bottom