Fixed Sidebar is causing layout shift

Kirby

Affected version
The sidebar (and probably sidenav? didn't test this) is being displayed using display: table-cell.

This seems to cause the browser to resize the content div when rendering the page as it does not know its width until reaching the sidebar.

Might only be an issue in Chromium-based browsers as I can't reproduce this in Firefox.

Injecting a set of <div> with display: table-column that set the width of the colums before div.p-body-content seems to fix the CLS issue.

Adressing this issue seems to have improved our Desktop origin CLS from 0,12 to 0,07 so far.

Last edited:
Thank you for reporting this issue, it has now been resolved. We are aiming to include any changes that have been made in a future XF release (2.2.0 RC2).

Change log:
Define page sidenav and sidebar widths earlier to reduce likelihood of layout shifts.
There may be a delay before changes are rolled out to the XenForo Community.

Worth mentioning that I haven't seen any CLS issues relating to this and even when doing some simulated tests locally, I didn't run into any sort of reflowing. However, I suspect this will also resolve an issue that has come up a number of times in the past related to how some ads detect their width and end up going under the sidebar (though it might affect how some styles/add-ons do collapsing sidebars as they'll need to manipulate the width on the related col element as well).

Top Bottom