Shrooms anyone?

Steve F

Probably not what most of you are thinking but thought I would share what the last few days of mushroom hunting has been like here in Ohio. ;) Post your finds if anyone hunts also!

Yummy..

shrooms.webp

Yellow.webp

These are a bit smaller than the first pic as they were from about a week or so ago.

first-batch.webp

Morel mushrooms (Morchella), depending on color (species) yellow, gray, black and spike.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morchella

Mushroom hunting is getting more popular each year throughout the US. With the very wet spring we have had here in Ohio it has been one of the best seasons since I have started hunting them (last 17 years). They are great for a side to any meal just by slicing them in halves, breading them and fried in a skillet, of course you rinse and soak them for a bit in salt water before cooking ;). My favorite way to eat them is with eggs. ;)

Erm lol...Never really thought of a ice bream cone while looking for them. Most of the fun is being out in the woods and trying to find them. You kind of have to get tuned in but once you find the first one its on.
Nothing like mixing up with nature to feel alive

Morel mushrooms (Morchella), depending on color (species) yellow, gray, black and spike.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morchella

Mushroom hunting is getting more popular each year throughout the US. With the very wet spring we have had here in Ohio it has been one of the best seasons since I have started hunting them (last 17 years). They are great for a side to any meal just by slicing them in halves, breading them and fried in a skillet, of course you rinse and soak them for a bit in salt water before cooking ;). My favorite way to eat them is with eggs. ;)
Can you really "hunt" mushrooms? :p

I've never liked mushrooms and actually thinking of eating them creeps me out beyond just not finding them appetizing. I like looking at them but that's it. I don't trust 'em otherwise. :cautious:

Erm lol...Never really thought of a ice bream cone while looking for them. Most of the fun is being out in the woods and trying to find them. You kind of have to get tuned in but once you find the first one its on.
First thing that came to my mind when I saw your pic above. Look at them. They resemble ice cream cones (in shape).

Can you really "hunt" mushrooms? :p

I've never liked mushrooms and actually thinking of eating them creeps me out beyond just not finding them appetizing. I like looking at them but that's it. I don't trust 'em otherwise. :cautious:

I do use a knife when I got out hunting. :p

A lot of people do not like the texture of any mushrooms, myself I like them all pretty much. You never want to eat a raw Morel that is a fact, just make sure they are cooked well. It is also known that they can cause increased intoxication if eaten while drinking alcohol.

First thing that came to my mind when I saw your pic above. Look at them. They resemble ice cream cones (in shape).

Thanks Peggy, every time I go out hunting now I will be seeing ice cream cones! :p

I love mushrooms.

There are tons of mushroom types growing wild here in the UK.
You do have to be careful though as some of them are poisonous and classifying them can sometimes be tricky.

I don't like mushrooms.
1-2 times a year i have to take the magic ones, but that's another story... (some people eat them with ice cream @ peggy:P )

Top Bottom