XF 2.0 showing a child node under a hidden parent?

Manya

hi, here's what i'm trying to accomplish:

parent node - mod central forum, visible to moderators only.
child node under it - help desk forum. mods should see it displayed in the nodes list. members should not see it in the nodes list, but should be able to access it through a link.

when i place help desk under mod central - members can no longer access it.
when i place help desk under no parent, hide it from display, create another link forum to help desk url, and place it under mod central - mods dont see if there's new content in help desk.

i understand that what i want is probably not possible, but thought i'd ask just in case.
thanks!

Why do you need to do all this the wrong way? Create a help desk node and make it's content private to users where users only allowed to create threads and post replies to their own threads revoking permission to see threads posted by other members. Give your mods permission to see and reply to all threads.

Reactions: eL_
Why do you need to do all this the wrong way? Create a help desk node and make it's content private to users where users only allowed to create threads and post replies to their own threads revoking permission to see threads posted by other members. Give your mods permission to see and reply to all threads.

What you're suggesting is not what I'm trying to accomplish. I do want members to see and respond to threads posted by other members in the help desk node. I want it under mods node so as not to clutter the nodes list for both users and moderators. I have seven such nodes, with varying permissions. Displaying them on top of nodes list, for members to scroll through each time they log in, while most of them will never need to use them - would inconvenience members. Placing them on the bottom of the list - would inconvenience mods. Hiding them from display - would mean that mods will miss new content.

What you're suggesting is not what I'm trying to accomplish. I do want members to see and respond to threads posted by other members in the help desk node. I want it under mods node so as not to clutter the nodes list for both users and moderators. I have seven such nodes, with varying permissions. Displaying them on top of nodes list, for members to scroll through each time they log in, while most of them will never need to use them - would inconvenience members. Placing them on the bottom of the list - would inconvenience mods. Hiding them from display - would mean that mods will miss new content.

Why do not you want members not to see the node and want them to access the node via url? Maybe if I understand the logic behind this I can help you.

You certainly can put the node under mod central and give the node its own permission to be seen by moderators and members at the same time. This WILL NOT allow members to see all nodes under mod central (unless granted so) which I assume you are referring to a category not a node.

I could have a category with many nodes and set permission for every node for every user group. What are you trying to do is there but maybe you don't know how to do it.

Why do not you want members not to see the node and want them to access the node via url? Maybe if I understand the logic behind this I can help you.

You certainly can put the node under mod central and give the node its own permission to be seen by moderators and members at the same time. This WILL NOT allow members to see all nodes under mod central (unless granted so) which I assume you are referring to a category not a node.

I could have a category with many nodes and set permission for every node for every user group. What are you trying to do is there but maybe you don't know how to do it.

You're saying I can hide one sibling and show the other. I want to hide a parent and show its child.

My top category has everything other than the topic of the site: intros, announcements, games, etc. In that category I have the mod central node, which is visible to mods and hidden from members. And I have seven nodes that I want to place under the mod central (not below but under, inside, as subs/children), that mods should see them on the list, and that members should access them through url only. Here's the logic behind it for two of the nodes:

Help desk:
Forums are just one of the areas of the site. Help desk is running on forum software, but semantically it's a service page (just like FAQ, contact us, guidelines, privacy policy, etc), you go there when you need help with using the site (any area of it, not just forums). I link to service pages from header/footer/sidebar, consistent navigation across the entire site, including forums. Displaying the help desk to members on the nodes list as well is unnecessary and even confusing to them. Mods need to see it on the list, and members are accessing it through url.

Archive of a banned topic:
I don't want to encourage users to browse it, so I don't display it on the nodes list - but I do need them to be able to access threads that they bookmarked or posted in, and I'd like mods to see it on the nodes list in case they need to look up something in there. Currently I have a sticky in mod central with the url of that node, but it would be more convenient to have it as a sub-node under mod central.

Each of these aren't a big deal on their own, but seven of them combined create clutter. I want to put these nodes as subs under the mod central node, and I want mods to see them on the nodes list, and members to only access them through url. Hope I'm making sense? :)

Top Bottom