Show who closed a thread, and when (and why)

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
I know the moderator log is available in the ACP but the problem with that is only administrators have access to it.

When a thread is closed, other moderators have no idea who closed it, or when (or why).

So instead of this:
upload_2013-10-17_0-39-25.webp

I propose something similar to when a thread is deleted, albeit in the thread status rather then the forum view, i.e.
upload_2013-10-17_0-46-41.webp

In the forum view would also work, but that would require a bigger change as currently locked threads appear identical to open threads other than the padlock icon.
upload_2013-10-17_0-49-58.webp

A reason for closure would also be useful, making it an option as it currently is with deleted threads.

Upvote 82
I great suggestion which I agree with. :)

Tooltip for thread views. (y) Highly agree with this suggestion.
The only problem with Tooltips is they don't work on tablets or mobiles. There are times that admins and mods will be accessing their site with just a tablet (I'm sure @Brogan can vouch for that ;) ) so for information like this it would be nice if it was available on all devices.

I use my phone about as much as I do my computer. Personally, I wouldn't mind clicking into the thread to see what the messages were.

One of the few moderation features XenForo has that doesn't hold moderators accountable - definitely something I'm interested in.

As for mobile: Tooltips on the thread listing are fine by me - it's no problem to go into the thread to get more details; you'd probably do it anyway.

I know the moderator log is available in the ACP but the problem with that is only administrators have access to it.

When a thread is closed, other moderators have no idea who closed it, or when (or why).

So instead of this:
upload_2013-10-17_0-39-25.png

I propose something similar to when a thread is deleted, albeit in the thread status rather then the forum view, i.e.
upload_2013-10-17_0-46-41.png
Voting for XF 2.1. Many a time, it's important to let the users know the reason of closure.

If we close a thread, the moderator that closes it always leaves a final message in the thread with the reason why it was closed.
This way we inform the users. Seems to work fine.

If we close a thread, the moderator that closes it always leaves a final message in the thread with the reason why it was closed.
I think a short message along Not open for further replies. is much more useful than a post by a mod because the former is visible from any page of the thread in a more prominent and obvious way. A mod's message can be necessary for an elaborated reason, but a short reason as the thread notice always helps.

We do that too, but unfortunately it is often forgotten. Therefore, an automatic entry would be very welcome.

Ditto. Automating it would be a nice-to-have but we're getting along fine without it.

Since no one has a solution as an add-on for this problem so far, I have created a solution for our forum.
But you have to activate the developer mode in the ACP (config.php) to implement this.
Better than nothing, but also not perfect ...

I would not want this. Much of the time I don’t want members to know it was me who spoiled their fun. If I do, I can always give them a warning or (as mentioned above) post to say the reason.

in fact I would welcome having the reason given on the closure, but not the name of the moderator.

This must be activated in Config.php.
$config['development']['enabled'] = true;

Then you have a new point in the ACP: Template modifications
There a new modification must be added and the instructions to which I have linked must be followed

However, you should only make such adjustments if you know exactly what you are doing.

Top Bottom