Show Us your XF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I thought about making this its own post about how great and easy the extensibility of xen is but felt too look at me, especially for a not quite finished product.

So here are a few screen shots of the system we have built on xen. We felt avatars were a benign design element how they are currently done while topic icons actually create an ability to find content relevant to you. So we changed it all up. We also felt every single forum has built this exact same look. They have also pasted layers of useless junk over top what used to be/should be the heart of the site - the forum. So we looked into different ways to peel back the portals and CMS systems and the like. We didn't want people coming in thinking we were much more than a forum.

So right as you come in you are given a pretty simple layout. It puts your forum right into the heart of it while not giving just a basic ugly forum page.
devhome.png

So being from Pittsburgh myself how about I want to talk about the Steelers. So I start typing Pitt and boom here are the options.
pitthome.png

I should have done these screenshots in a better order but here is an example of what happens when you click the icon. Using the xen overlay you will get up to the 8 most recent threads with that icon for you to quickly dive into. We are an all topics, uncensored site, with a huge sports slant. As such everyone comes for a bit different thing and instead of making them view the 3-4 threads we think they want to read from a portal or cms system we let the user decide.
overlaysnip.png

Here it is in action on the forum. As you can see we removed the avatars and used the icon system we have built. Topics you post in get the small avatar like normal.
iconsnip.png

I may offer up more info if anyone actually cares. Our lead dev guy is mainly a Ruby developer (the home page actually uses Ruby to create the icon grid so it doesn't need to be re-created on each reload) but he was very impressed with how well constructed xen was. We hope to go live with it in the next 3-4 weeks.

Alright this is long but wanted to thank the guys behind this product for creating a powerful system like this that gives such flexibility.

Well I thought about making this its own post about how great and easy the extensibility of xen is but felt too look at me, especially for a not quite finished product.

So here are a few screen shots of the system we have built on xen. We felt avatars were a benign design element how they are currently done while topic icons actually create an ability to find content relevant to you. So we changed it all up. We also felt every single forum has built this exact same look. They have also pasted layers of useless junk over top what used to be/should be the heart of the site - the forum. So we looked into different ways to peel back the portals and CMS systems and the like. We didn't want people coming in thinking we were much more than a forum.

So right as you come in you are given a pretty simple layout. It puts your forum right into the heart of it while not giving just a basic ugly forum page.
devhome.png

So being from Pittsburgh myself how about I want to talk about the Steelers. So I start typing Pitt and boom here are the options.
pitthome.png

I should have done these screenshots in a better order but here is an example of what happens when you click the icon. Using the xen overlay you will get up to the 8 most recent threads with that icon for you to quickly dive into. We are an all topics, uncensored site, with a huge sports slant. As such everyone comes for a bit different thing and instead of making them view the 3-4 threads we think they want to read from a portal or cms system we let the user decide.
overlaysnip.png

Here it is in action on the forum. As you can see we removed the avatars and used the icon system we have built. Topics you post in get the small avatar like normal.
iconsnip.png

I may offer up more info if anyone actually cares. Our lead dev guy is mainly a Ruby developer (the home page actually uses Ruby to create the icon grid so it doesn't need to be re-created on each reload) but he was very impressed with how well constructed xen was. We hope to go live with it in the next 3-4 weeks.

Alright this is long but wanted to thank the guys behind this product for creating a powerful system like this that gives such flexibility.
Just from the screens you posted that seems like it'll be a bit overwhelming and doesn't really cater to people who intend to browse without anything specific in mind.

The search feature is only useful when you're looking for specific things.

Just from the screens you posted that seems like it'll be a bit overwhelming and doesn't really cater to people who intend to browse without anything specific in mind.

The search feature is only useful when you're looking for specific things.
Then you would just go to the forum like any normal site.

That's very nice tmb, I was going to say the same thing as Forsaken until I realised that it was seperate to the main forum listing. Very nice indeed and I look forward to seeing the finished product :).

tmb, I am impressed with the work that you've put into your site. It truly does show how creative one can get with XF. I'd like to see more, as well.

lol how many times are you going to change skin within a month . Admin sites are supposed to be Professional sites .
I couldnt find the right one. This one that im currently using is premium so I im not going to change it. As for professionalism, how does that make us nonprofessional?

I couldnt find the right one. This one that im currently using is premium so I im not going to change it. As for professionalism, how does that make us nonprofessional?

The last style you made was far better then this one ....style needs to fit the theme of site not premium . How will it remain professional when you keep on changing style every few days . Atleast keep one for few months get feedback from other members then move on.

The last style you made was far better then this one ....style needs to fit the theme of site not premium . How will it remain professional when you keep on changing style every few days . Atleast keep one for few months get feedback from other members then move on.
I didnt change it "every few days" and thanks for your suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom