Show Registered Group Permissions While Editing Other Group Permissions

The Sandman

Probably to do with my age and the number of permissions we have due to having so many add-ons, but I find that when I'm editing the permissions of the other groups I can't remember what the base permissionset for the registered group is - I either have to go back and forth to another tab to compare item by item (which I don't do) or I end up adding a bunch of permissions that I didn't need to because I didn't remember if the registered group already had them or not.

I suggest that there be a view of the registered group permissions alongside the group permissions being set so we can see what the base permissionset is and don't go changing ones that don't need changing.

Upvote 7
Somewhat similar, yes. Looking at that thread, I'd take the image @Digital Doctor posted as a starting point but in my version I'd only have the current group being edited and the registered group (and the registered group would display only - not be available for editing). Proper usergroup permissioning is based on the registered group after all so it should be immediately available as a reference while editing the other group permissions. :)

ijFqGcdkxOlFA.png

Proper usergroup permissioning is based on the registered group after all so it should be immediately available as a reference while editing the other group permissions.
Permissions are cumulative so it is possible for the permission to be Not Set (No) in the Registered user group but Allow in another user group, in which case you would need to see all user groups the user is a member of to ensure you are not duplicating an Allow, for example.

Well, yes and no. For a complete picture sure, seeing them all might help - but it's a lot of groups.

And the registered group permissionset is the basis for all the others. It's the only one I *need* to see while setting the other groups.

I keep a spreadsheet showing all user groups (in columns) and permissions in rows. It allows me to see all groups and permissions on one screen. It has the added advantage over the OPs suggest in that if ever the forum permissions are wrecked in some way, the spreadsheet is still there as a reference to recreate the group permissions. :)

I keep a spreadsheet showing all user groups (in columns) and permissions in rows. It allows me to see all groups and permissions on one screen. It has the added advantage over the OPs suggest in that if ever the forum permissions are wrecked in some way, the spreadsheet is still there as a reference to recreate the group permissions. :)
How do you generate this spreadsheet - manually? :o

I copied and pasted the permissions text into a spreadsheet. Took a little adjusting as it copies everything but it didn't take too long. Set up the cells so that if I type in Not Set (No) they turn grey, for Allow they go green and for Never they go red. Did similar for node permissions too. Autocomplete in spreadsheets means you don't have to type in the text in full each time either.

In all it's rather handy and easy to glance at and see that I haven't any duplicated permissions across my groups.

I copied and pasted the permissions text into a spreadsheet.
A lot of admins seem to to this.
Anything that needs a map to figure it out, needs improvement.
On vbulletin and IPS I can just remember it for my big board with 35 groups.

Anything that needs a map to figure it out, needs improvement.
Agreed - for two reasons. First, to ensure we don't have to rely on memory for scores or even hundreds of permission settings for each usergroup. Second, and more important (IMO) it will help to teach people how to conceptualize the XF permission system as opposed to others which they may be used to which work very differently.

I use my Clone Usergroup add-on for this, no map or documentation required. I select clone for the registered group, and then change the permissions as required (if it is set to Allow, select Not Set). This way no duplicate permissions are set for different user groups a member may belong to.

I use my Clone Usergroup add-on for this, no map or documentation required. I select clone for the registered group, and then change the permissions as required (if it is set to Allow, select Not Set). This way no duplicate permissions are set for different user groups a member may belong to.
I don't think that would work for set-ups where users are in several user groups where permissions are cumulative across these e.g. a user is in groups A (Registered), B, C and D. It would work for creating B (from A) but for creating C you'd need to know the permissions set in A and B and for creating D you'd need to know the permissions set in A, B and C.

Plus it's only useful for creating a new group, not editing an existing one.

Ideally, you should be able to define your reference group by selecting a combination of groups that are to be modified by the group being edited. Otherwise, the software can't possibly know what your intentions for the group are.

Hmm, maybe two modes - simple (shows the Registered group as the reference group) and advanced (allows you to select the groups to be considered the reference).

I don't think that would work for set-ups where users are in several user groups where permissions are cumulative across these e.g. a user is in groups A (Registered), B, C and D. It would work for creating B (from A) but for creating C you'd need to know the permissions set in A and B and for creating D you'd need to know the permissions set in A, B and C.

I created the add-on for how I knew my forum will be set up at the time, and to work in conjunction with my clone node add-on:

- most members will belong to just 2 user groups: registered, and adventurer. To create the adventurer group I just cloned the registered group, and changed the name, set the allows to not-set and checked the permissions they will receive to allow.

- some members will belong to a third user group, needed for giving access to their specific set of forums created specifically for those members. The newly created user group has it's permissions set to not-set, because they do not need any other user-group based permission to be set to allow.

I then use my clone node add-on to clone the node belonging to the last guild I created, ensuring the setting to clone forum permissions is checked, and the cloning of content moderators is not set. The only changes I do here before I hit clone, is to the name and description, display order (only required for my use), and un-select the display in node tree option for now. As this is a new node no one will know it exists so I have time for the last step.

As I cloned the forum permissions of the last guild, the permissions set to revoke are all set for the new user group for every other guild-forums I may have; I just need to change the new user groups permissions for viewing the last user groups forum to revoke. The final step is to set the new user groups forum permissions for the other guilds to revoke, and set it to be displayed in the node list. Every guild (user group) member now has the exact same permissions for their own forums, and there are no duplicate permissions set.

If in the future I require all members to belong to a third user group, I just need to clone the adventurer user-group and set those that are allow, to not-set and set the new permissions I want to give them to allow. No fuss, no confusion, and more importantly the forum permissions for specific user groups (their guild forums) are not touched, :)

Top Bottom