• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Should we axe our Reviews section (Reviewpost)?

kontrabass

Ok forum owners, what would you do? We have a Reviews section running Reviewpost (alongside our VB3 board) that's been up for like 10 years now, and accumulated several thousand reviews. We're moving to XF, but haven't seen a workable ReviewPost integration solution, or any workable ReviewPost alternatives.

The Reviews section is responsible for 5.75% of our total traffic (roughly 12M pageviews/month). It seems that people seem to like posting a "is this a good ____ for me" thread instead of reading reviews.

Should I just archive it and shut it down?

HWS

Or you can use Showcase for the reviews. I am sure Bob is able to create an importer for Reviewpost, if you pay him for it.

JulianD

Whatever decision you take, make sure you save your original vBulletin database, and the import table. With that information you can import to another application in the future.

DRE

transfer it to showcase by bobster or import it as threads and use julians thread rating plus xenportas article system with categories

wow thats such a good idea ill do it to my site.

Alfa1

I would certainly not move to XenForo before you have a good alternative for your reviews.
Your reviews are an essential part of your website and these thousands of reviews take a very prominent place in your site. Loosing it or degrading it will affect your website greatly.
Currently XenForo does not have a good reviews addon, but I'm sure that it will come. Too many people need it.

kontrabass

Thanks for the good tips and advice! Ok I won't delete it. I'm thinking we'll archive it as read-only until a full-featured reviews addon is out. Showcase is great, but some features of a reviews system are missing. I heard a little bird say that @Bob B might be working on a full-featured reviews system... (y)

Carla Birch

Ok forum owners, what would you do? We have a Reviews section running Reviewpost (alongside our VB3 board) that's been up for like 10 years now, and accumulated several thousand reviews. We're moving to XF, but haven't seen a workable ReviewPost integration solution, or any workable ReviewPost alternatives.

The Reviews section is responsible for 5.75% of our total traffic (roughly 12M pageviews/month). It seems that people seem to like posting a "is this a good ____ for me" thread instead of reading reviews.

Should I just archive it and shut it down?
Reviewpost itself supports Xenforo out the box, well at lest version 6.2 does. But why it supports it i personally did away with it and started to use Showcase by @Bob B because its by far better designed and coded to work with Xenforo, where as Reviewpost is still like something from the 90's in my personal view.