Should new users at Xenforo.com watch Announcements by default ?

I personally don't feel like forcing someone to watch something by default is needed. Announcements (the major ones at least) are already sent out via a newsletter about a day after they are announced.

Real newbies might really benefit from Xenforo announcements.
An alert could help.
Heck it could teach a real newbie what subscribing to a forum actually is.

You say Forcing ?
I say helping ?
Newbies will probably see it as good customer service.
Forum rats like the OP and all the repliers aren't the best judges on this one.

I had been using forum software for over 10 years before buying Xen Foro. I don't need hand holding when I sign up to a bloody forum.

If you actually ran a site or two, you'd know this.

You say Forcing ?
I say helping ?
Newbies will probably see it as good customer service.
Forum rats like the OP and all the repliers aren't the best judges on this one.

Why are you debating this? You asked for a drawback, I gave you one. FFS.

Also, on any forum I register at (as a "newbie"), I don't want to be forced into following/watching/reading anything.

Did you just refer to yourself as "the OP"? It still seems like unnecessary 'forcing' on the hand of the developers. I've gone months without updating a piece of software and being alerted hasn't at all helped to do anything. Plus, since that feature isn't default in XenForo, it would have to be coded.

What might be some positives ? Some drawbacks ?

View attachment 48101

I remember when xenforo held that discount for RM's had they been able to watch announcements then yes. This would have also benefited regular active users who at the time so that would be a benefit and a pro. Drawback is they would need to switch to unwatch if they are active.

How many time does a thread go overlooked and maybe a comment mentioned in announcements? Alot as seen through xenforo's history. But I guess this is down to the devs if they want to apply forced watching on announcements.

I think its an awesome idea because we could either have them auto watch like even a Sponsors forum for deals going on - with only regular alerts not emails.
Maybe like up to 3x a month etc.

I think its an awesome idea because we could either have them auto watch like even a Sponsors forum for deals going on - with only regular alerts not emails.
Maybe like up to 3x a month etc.

You realise this is a suggestion for XenForo.com to force customers registering on this site to watch the Announcements forum?

It might make a good addon, but that's not this suggestion ;)

You realise this is a suggestion for XenForo.com to force customers registering on this site to watch the Announcements forum?

It might make a good addon, but that's not this suggestion ;)

Ah I better start reading the threads more thoroughly lol

Top Bottom