• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Should I really be using pages this way?

I'm trying to create a number of high-content articles for my forum, and I've been working on building the articles using the pages system in Xenforo:

http://plumcrazyforums.com/categories/plum-crazy-articles.16/

Now, I'm totally comfortable coding the pages by hand in HTML, but I'm wondering if I should really be using a CMS, or perhaps wordpress or 8wayrun's Wiki add-on.

I want the best "bang" for my SEO buck, and I can imagine that this article section may grow to include hundreds of articles.

I'm thinking that pages may be too clunky for this content, and I'd rather make a change now before I get even more content uploaded.

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Up to you really.
It depends whether the content requires wiki functionality or not.

I have over 100 Pages on my site and I'm perfectly happy using them for a similar purpose.

Okay, I went back and looked at wordpress, and I think I'd likely be using the HTML tab anyway, that seems pointless. The Wiki option I like, but I really want the content to be in the forum.

Okay I convinced myself, at least for now I'm sticking with pages....

At some point down the road, will there be a WYSIWYG editor for pages?

Digital Doctor

I'm trying to create a number of high-content articles for my forum, and I've been working on building the articles using the pages system in Xenforo:

Now, I'm totally comfortable coding the pages by hand in HTML, but I'm wondering if I should really be using a CMS, or perhaps wordpress or 8wayrun's Wiki add-on.

I want the best "bang" for my SEO buck, and I can imagine that this article section may grow to include hundreds of articles.
I'd go for Wordpress - especially if you arent going to have many authors and the content doesnt need to be updated constantly.
Wordpress has a new wiki too: Wordpress Wiki.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-native-wiki.1636/page-8#post-217764

Wordpress is a SEO goldmine.
XenCarta has the benefit of being able to INSERT wiki items *IN* forum posts !
nice eh ?
Can't do that with wordpress wiki.

Digital Doctor

If you used XenCarta ... you could have a Mockup like this:

plum.crazy.articles.mockup.jpg
Most article engines do a horrible job of article presentation.
Article engines based on forums are *DEFINITELY* the worst.

If you check out Wordpress wiki ... let us know how it goes.

Peggy

I'm thinking that pages may be too clunky for this content, and I'd rather make a change now before I get even more content uploaded.
You've done an excellent job with the pages feature, and I hope that you continue to use it. Your pages look great - neat and organized.
Very nice!

JVCode

I don't like how every page you create it also creates a new "template" in the style templates, I was going to use pages for my new forum, but I would need to add thousands of "pages" which would totally kill my style, not to mention how it's displayed in the admincp part. Could there not be a better way to store these pages? if so, I would use them :)

F

Floris

I for one am happy they're template, makes them very flexible and inheritance to the style of the site.

JVCode

I for one am happy they're template, makes them very flexible and inheritance to the style of the site.
Even when you have thousands of "pages" ? I may do a test on my local server and see what adding thousands of pages actually does to the performance of the admincp style>templates area.

Though I do agree with your post, but it would be great if the templates for your pages could be placed in a different area.

JVCode

Quite a few here, but not thousands.

If I had thousands, I would probably re-organize it in a different matter. Perhaps not use the pages/ feature at all. It's not a CMS after all.
I totally forgot that it adds the "page" into the node list also, and without a drop down scroll option for the node listing page, that would totally not work.

I would be using the "pages" like a CMS solution, but not until these little wrinkles were ironed out.

I say put "pages" in a different place entirely from the node list and the template manager, give them their own tab in the admin area, and work to build "pages" into a fully fledged CMS, you're already half way there. If any of the modders are watching this thread, it might be a good idea ;).