Should I change to 2.2 beta if I'm launching my forum in a few weeks?

gogo

It's been developed in 2.1 and most major add-ons used are 2.2 compatible now.

I don't mind doing the extra work to change to 2.2 from scratch if it's a better choice for now.

I guess it's better/easier than doing the upgrade after it's launched for, say, half an year?

It's an embarrassing moment.

Solution
Alright!! Thanks! I guess it's better to do it from scratch, right? The most tedious thing is all the translation work. Is there any way to migrate the translated phrases?
Just do a regular upgrade.

There will likely be some work to update the add-ons, language, and style, but nowhere near as much as starting over.

Take a backup first, in case a rollback is required.
There are some bugs (but software always has bugs) but if I was going to start a new site in a few weeks it would be with 2.2.

Alright!! Thanks! I guess it's better to do it from scratch, right? The most tedious thing is all the translation work. Is there any way to migrate the translated phrases?

In my opinion, yes. I started my forum on XF 2.1 RC1 and would've on 2.2 Beta 2 just as well because 0 members.

As I've grown, I saw bugs in 2.2 Beta 2 that are fixed in Beta 3, when I'll go live with a beta as all my add ons are supported already instead of waiting for a RC or stable release.

Then upgrade throughout 2.2 as I did with 2.1.

I don't know if I am misunderstanding here, but you shouldn't start from scratch with 2.2 beta. You should update what you have ready today to 2.2 beta and make and fix things before you go live.
If you update, what has been done before like translation, will also be done in the beta, you just have to translate the new things.

Just do a regular upgrade.

There will likely be some work to update the add-ons, language, and style, but nowhere near as much as starting over.

Take a backup first, in case a rollback is required.

Solution
Top Bottom