XF 2.1 Sharing on Facebook

MediaSVI

I am having an issue when I share a post to Facebook. You can see from the pictures that the FB popup box shows and gives you what the post will look like. But when I post it to the FB page it always looks like the 2nd picture. The picture in the first pic is not there. Does this have something to do on my end?

Thank you for your time.

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 10.59.13 AM.webp

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 10.58.14 AM.webp

I'm not sure if this answers your question completely. but I'll take a shot at it:

What we did on our forum(s) is to create a picture to use an Opengraph/Metadata Logo for social media. It displays this file on FB, Instagram, and many other social sites, to represent what you want to show on the pic - when someone shares your link. 1200x630 is the size we created for the image.

It's under ADCP -> Appearance -> Style Properties -> Basic Options -> Metadata Logo URL:

Facebook has a developer website where you can force it to crawl instantly to update, which will also show you what it sees.
You can put your URL in here to see, before and after:

Thank you, I tried the debug and I get these 2 problems.

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 3.47.55 PM.webp

I have no clue this has to do with Xenforo?

Also I am trying to use the image that is in the post, not a generic forum image.

I ended up making an image for the meta Logo but the size is only 114 X 82 and fits in where the NR pic is in the picture here and looks good. It does not work on Twitter though twitter puts in their generic pic.

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 7.01.06 PM.webp

I just had them debug it and it said my image was too small the min is 200 X 200 its says. I made a new image and did the debug and the error was gone. I still have the error though.

Missing Properties
The following required properties are missing: fb:app_id

I do not have a FB app?

Disable connected accounts.

If you want to use them, you will need to go to Facebook and Twitter and set up API apps (and then wait to get them approved). Frankly, it's simpler to simple disable that feature.

You have to get the Facebook API approved. Did you get notification of that?

Also, Facebook has changed their API/app. Any old ones will stop working at the end of October.

I just made it the other day and saw nothing about getting it approved and never got anything from Facebook. I do see this green checkmark next to the app

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 8.09.25 PM.png

Last edited:
I get the fb app id message/error too, and have facebook integration enabled. Folks do register through FB. I have just been ignoring the message.

So is the api built into 2.2 going to expire in a week, or is that the current one?

I just made a new post. I think my issue might be my https is not being restricted.

Top Bottom