1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implemented Set Time Limit For Post Edit

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by erich37, Aug 5, 2010.

1. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

well, currently users are able to EDIT their post which might result into confusion when the specific text is being changed (e.g. 3 days after the original post).

This might also get into bad behavior/cheating, etc. and other risks when people are able to completely change their content later on (maybe to something totally different in context or meaning).

I would suggest of setting a Time-Limit as to which posts/comments are allowed being altered (e.g. 1 hour).

xmlxp, gldtn, Pepelac and 24 others like this.
  2. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

also, i would like an option that allows us to edit the first post indefinitely ... :)

3. soloarquitectura

soloarquitectura Active Member

This feature is very important, because as you know is used by spammers (post and then edit the post after some days).

4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I prefer to have unlimited editing time.

So if it's implemented than I suspect it will be via an ACP setting.

5. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

I sure hope it is alterable for each site, at least. This should be in the admin cp, unless there is a reason not to have it.

6. soloarquitectura

soloarquitectura Active Member

Of course ;)

7. Peter

Peter Active Member

Currently it's either on/off but no way to input a time limit cutoff for users editing their posts.

8. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I've merged your thread with the original suggestion Peter :)

9. rjordan

rjordan Member

I certainly agree with this being needed. As was originally stated above, nothing like confusion caused by changing a post after a number of responses are referencing that one.

I would like to expand this a bit, however. In addition to the time limit, perhaps an option that will not allow post edits after a reply is made. I think it could go hand-in-hand with this topic.

10. Nasr

Nasr Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to the "Editing History" option as well. Will such a thing be implemented?

steven s, twollert and Brentnauer like this.
  11. Anthony Parsons

Anthony Parsons Well-Known Member

This really needs to be an ACP feature IMHO... as there is no way I could let users just have unlimited editing due to frantic rages that occur and then suddenly a thousand posts say *********** in them, completely destroying entire discussions. The other end, is that I can't let them have zero editing either, as due to the nature of my forum, there are rules about grammar for readability issues for those who have suffered trauma.

dutchbb likes this.
  12. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

oh man, I nearly forgot about this thread......good that we have alerts....

13. twollert

twollert Active Member

I agree, this is important!

14. steven s

steven s Well-Known Member

I don't mind the editing, I would like to see an edited by xxxx and when.

Jurhum likes this.
  15. Nasr

Nasr Well-Known Member

yes i think this is a must. It's critical to many communities. To keep track of who edited the post. Sometimes, admins will go and edit posts and that will cause issues.

16. Diablotic

Diablotic Active Member

Time limit with an option to disable/enable in ACP would be perfect.

17. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

Supported!

18. kkm323

kkm323 Well-Known Member

maybe you should have a log for admin to see what have been changed
    and under the post you should know when did he/she change the post

19. Jamie

Jamie Well-Known Member

Just curious with this suggestion, I would like to hear from the developers on this one.

Is this something that Kier and Mike will add or is there a reason to not have an edit time limit? Is this something that could be created as a mod until it's in the core?

Thanks!
    Jamie

20. DSF

DSF Well-Known Member

Jamie, thank you for remember.
    Time limit is a must!