ServInt Flex Dedicated Are Worth The $$$

Anthony Parsons

Just transferred my site over to ServInt's flex dedicated, and I can say, WOW!

I had been with ServInt for years, then got into an in-between hosting area where I needed a full CPU core, so I went to WiredTree to fill this void with their Hybrid system, which ServInt don't cover. Out-growing that to a now dedicated, and I have to say... if you're in the market for high performance, then this is a real solution.

6 core, SAS drives, completely dedicated with an insignificant virtualization layer that still allows instant upgrades in resources / shifting upward, without any down-time, is worth it.

http://www.servint.net/v_dedicatedservers.php

Nice to know theres a good supplier out there, the prices don't look bad either for the specs.

Shame they don't offer EU solutions.

Thanks for posting this, I have them bookmarked so if I reach that point on either of my sites I will hit them up first for hosting.

You would have to discuss with them... at some point they will do so, as they stated in their release, if people are asking for it they will do.

Yea,

Whilst I am currently happy with the performance and support of 1+1, I like to keep in the know about alternatives incase things ever did go tits up.

My List currently looks like this :D

VPS - Linode
Dedicated Servers - 1+1, Rackspace (if the budget allows, but boy they are expensive), Servint
CDN - Nobody yet, looking for reccomendations.

Indeed. I have heard the "enterprise level hardware" arguement thrown around a lot recently also. Thing is, if you go by the manufacturers RMA reports, the consumer level stuff actually has a near idential failure rate as the enterprise! So you end up paying for not a lot extra.

I understand rackspaces prices though. One of my customers has been with them for several years (providing a service which needs 99.9%+ uptime) and had a server hardware fault. By the time he had called me (about 10 minutes after the site went down) and I had called rackspace, they already knew about the proble and were working to fix it.

Maybe ~45 minutes after the site went down, it was back up again.

Yep...

I can't say I've ever had my sites down for 45 minutes though with ServInt... and I've hosted with them for near 5 years prior to WiredTree (12+ months).

ServInt use enterprise equipment... so it still begs to differ what some of these other companies excuses really are!!!

I think it comes down to overheads at the end of the day. Rackspace are an extremely large company with no doubt a heavy top-end (white collar) and buildings (image) compared to others. It's the rich end of the server market... which quite honestly I agree you get the same out of the medium market without the expensive flashy buildings.

Im currently planning a large scale web-application which needs to scale horizontally rather than vertically and future expansion needs to be flawless wth 0 downtime. Serveint seems to fit the bill nicely there...

My first thoughts to save cost was to run a 1+1 cloud setup, however, with that comes the problem that "if" something goes wrong i'm on my own. Rackspace managed cloud seems like the ideal solution, but at £130 quid starting cost for a server with 256mb of ram... it makes me gag to think for that same cost I could get 2x quad core with 6gb ram with 1+1.

Alas these things are never simple.

Yer, looked at RackSpace in the past myself... though I've never been able to get past the expense for what they offer, compared to others in the market who are offering similar / better.

Even SoftLayer have gone stupid nowadays with their pricing... what I got at ServInt, they want $350 a month for, and still not SAS drives or the RAM allocation: http://www.softlayer.com/dedicated-servers/single-processor-servers
I think RackSpace compared to ServInt is more expensive. If I had to choose I would go ServInt before RackSpace. I remember when RackSpace offered shared hosting, last I looked they don't now.

Im currently planning a large scale web-application which needs to scale horizontally rather than vertically and future expansion needs to be flawless wth 0 downtime. Serveint seems to fit the bill nicely there...

My first thoughts to save cost was to run a 1+1 cloud setup, however, with that comes the problem that "if" something goes wrong i'm on my own. Rackspace managed cloud seems like the ideal solution, but at £130 quid starting cost for a server with 256mb of ram... it makes me gag to think for that same cost I could get 2x quad core with 6gb ram with 1+1.

Alas these things are never simple.
CDN used for the sharing of projects among developers?

Might have been an isolated issue but have had some serious issues with racksapce's disk I/O.
I think that can happen anywhere though... as I had no issues at Wiredtree with I/O until I started maxing out CPU allocation, which drove the load through the roof, which consequently affected disk read / write and thus I/O was peaking well over user and system at some points.

Servint are very good. I transferred two of my regular clients there recently. Very professional and once when I needed ticket support on a Sunday, they responded within 10 minutes, when I was expecting to wait until Monday.

Top Bottom