Server Specs Recommendations?

intradox

Hi all,

I'm hoping that maybe some of you might be able to help me with figuring out what type of server requirements I should upgrade to as I feel my current setup is not enough for the traffic and expected increases in traffic in the coming months.

During peak usage, it often can't handle the traffic and I can't seem to get APC cache working without crashing the server after enabling it in the config for a few hours... not sure if it's my APC settings or the server.

Server Config
Host Sites: 2 Xenforo Forums
Caching: APC

Current Ram: 1gb (2gb Burst)
Current HD: 65gb
Current CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5620 @ 2.40GHz

Traffic (Daily):
Curent Uniques: 2k
Current Pageviews: 13k

Traffic is expected to be ~3x more within the next 3months (So ~40k daily pageviews) due to it's specific niche growth.

Current Server Status (You can see I'm using some of my burst quite often ~300mb):
y1f0r.png

Here is some server data:
kinWI.png

Also, I use ServInt for anyone that is wondering. Been with them for almost 2years and enjoy their support, uptime, and overall performance so I would like to stay with them even though it might be slightly costlier than the alertnatives out there.

Thanks for your help! :)

If you can't host 40k daily on a 256mb vps something is very wrong..
Well that's not good considering I'm only at about 12k with it going above 1.3mb on an average day... I don't have much else going on with the server and don't have APC enabled but it is installed. I guess I screwed at my config files pretty bad.

Debian is your friend. You should think about switching.

A LOT easier to config and uses less resources than Cent OS.

(Ubuntu would be the next alternative)

Debian is your friend. You should think about switching.

A LOT easier to config and uses less resources than Cent OS.

(Ubuntu would be the next alternative)
Any websites or forums that could help beginnings transition to SSH + Debian. I've pretty much used cPanel + managed hosting as a crutch and barely touched any SSH before...

Intra... this is where I went to Wiredtree for a couple of years due to a lacking hole in ServInt's products, being that shift between their ultimate VPS to a dedicated CPU. The ultimate VPS still isn't using a full core, and ServInt need you to shift to the SuperVPS at $200 per month to get a full core, which is just ridiculous.

WiredTree filled that hole for me for near two years, at $99 a month for a full core, 4Gb RAM and RAID10, using their hybrid server.

When I recently outgrew that server, I've now shifted back to ServInt where I've hosted for a good 4 years prior.

I have identified this gaping hole to ServInt, though they don't seem to want to meet competition on this one. ServInt for VPS and dedicated are phenomenal, though they have the hole inbetween.

Why would anyone pay for a VPS single core at $200 per month, when they offer a dedicated at $200 per month! Then add to that the fact you can get the single core for half the price from as just as reputable service as ServInt... being Wiredtree.

You might consider that, or simply shift to their Flex Express dedi solution. Wiredtree covered that hole for me really well, reducing my cost, increasing server specs.

Saying all of that, ServInt really do have extremely low disk I/O... which you won't get at Wiredtree. So it all depends on how close to that full CPU mark you are. I bounced out the specs on the ultimate VPS, and I simply wasn't ready to shift onto a dedicated solution.

Any websites or forums that could help beginnings transition to SSH + Debian. I've pretty much used cPanel + managed hosting as a crutch and barely touched any SSH before...

Look to find the root of your problem. Switching OS won't help if the problem lies within your configuration of a particular service.

Besides, all current nix distros are pretty similar in performance at the moment, with only a minor percentage between them.

Setting up a Debian server without a control panel is actually very easy

NOTE: Do not use the 1st link on the 1st post (read on and you'll see why)
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/the-perfect-server-debian.31931/

Of course if you really do want a control panel .... I would suggest Direct Admin. A lot more cost affective than cPanel and includes all the basic features of cPanel, but more current and uses less resources.

If your the only one accessing your server, I wouldn't bother with cPanel or Direct Admin. Just go Webmin. Webin is very easy to install now too that it even has a repo to not have to deal with RPMs.

Top Bottom