Server Memory Specs

BentDreams

Ok, so I've pretty much given up on trying to find solid info on how much memory I should be looking for in a VPS for the forum that I'm kicking off soon so I'm just going to ask...

I'm expecting to have about 50 - 100 concurrent users posting in the range of 1000 new posts per day.

A significant number of those posts are embedded youtube videos.

I'm planning to launch with the following add-ons:
s9 Media BBCode Pack
Live Update (alerts for both browser tabs and alerts)
Beyond Post Ratings (probably 2 - 3 times the post rate, so roughly 3000 ratings per day)
Tapatalk
[bd] Widgets Framework with sidebar widgets that display:
  • 10 User Status Updates
  • 10 Recent Posts
  • 10 Newest Threads
There are some other very minor add-ons but these are the heavy hitters from a performance standpoint

Unfortunately I have a user who is a known troll with a script kiddie who periodically gets upset about something and attacks the server, so I want to protect the database and am planning to use:
  • 1 Server for the XF software
  • 1 Server for the Database on an isolated subnet that is not internet routeable.
So, how much memory should I get for each VPS? 2 GB each? 4GB Database 2GB XF?

Thansk for you input.

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I'm disabled and have some availability issues due to issues with my medications so I need to go with a managed provider.

Right now I'm currently close to settling on host4geeks. I need to stick in the $30-$50 per month range and have a $20-$30 DDoS layer for at least basic mitigation for the web tier.

I'm debating whether I want to put a CDN in front of that to further obfuscate the site. Unfortunately I have a loose cannon who is a bit unstable and has a skiddie, so I need at least minimal protection for when he goes off on one of his deep end rants, and I don't want it impacting our hosting relationship.

CloudFlare is quite a decent web DDOS protection for it's price (aka free).

But it'd recommend reconsidering if you want to use tapatalk, as it's security is often considering horrible and tends to dramatically hinder the user of addons which provide UI improvements.

But it'd recommend reconsidering if you want to use tapatalk, as it's security is often considering horrible and tends to dramatically hinder the user of addons which provide UI improvements.
What kind of add-ons would Tapatalk affect?

Would a separate deployment of XF that does not have any of the add-on code available to it specifically for Tapatalk users resolve the problem or is the existence of the hooks in the database enough?

What kind of add-ons would Tapatalk affect?

Would a separate deployment of XF that does not have any of the add-on code available to it specifically for Tapatalk users resolve the problem or is the existence of the hooks in the database enough?
Tapatalk doesn't use the standard UI of XF, so anything which extends it such as various market place addons, homepage portals, etc; just don't exist for Tapatalk users.

and tends to dramatically hinder the user of addons which provide UI improvements.
Right but what did you mean by this?

I mean the Tapatalk UI is a completely different UI experience so there really isn't any expectation of it ever benefitting from UI add-ons. Users who are interested in that should use the responsive mobile version of the site.

I simply have some users who don't do change well and prefer Tapatalk.

As for security, what kinds of concerns should I have? I currently do not allow registrations through Tapatalk or their integrated sign-on. Users have to explicitly logon to our site.

Top Bottom