Lack of interest Server load monitoring and function limiting

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

RobParker

I'm not quite sure how possible this would be but it would be extremely useful if XF could not only monitor server load but perform actions based on the load level.

For example if the load goes above a set limit, search (or other server intensive functions) are automatically disabled. If it gets even worse users are denied access completely, etc.

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
When my server load goes way high, my site comes to a halt.
So even if the XF new to take away some functions or even close the forum temporarily based on server load, eventually my site would crash anyway.
I know vB has that builtin (or maybe it's a mod), I just wonder how effective it really is?

Our (VB) forum is a football forum and as it's the end of the transfer window it's really busy (1500 users online compared to usually 500 or so). With search, who's online, etc enabled our server load is huge and the we eventually crash. By manually disabling search we manage to keep the load around 3 or so.

It seems like it makes enough difference that it would be good if XF could do some intelligent feature disabling dependent on load.

1. Disable Search
  2. Disable Cron
  3. Maybe detect and disable add-ons that are causing high load?
  4. Maybe have integration with root, to be able to detect, kill, restart, etc.
Some of this is a little advanced but performance is one of the biggest issues for forums.

Top Bottom