XF 1.5 Server Error makes it impossible to log in. Not sure what to do. Long time XF user.

Mark Wein

I had been posting on the forum this morning, took a break to do something else and one of our members reached out to me on Facebook that the forum was crashed. When I check back, this is all that I get. I can't log in, and neither can my co-Admin. We've had this forum running XF since 2013 and this has never happened. The other admin checked the database and as much server-side stuff as he could be nothing jumped out. We just can't log in. Apparently the database is intact and backed up. I did get an email from our hosting (Bluehost) that they had changed their control panel for users at about the same time but I don't know how that could be a part of this. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 2.31.24 PM.webp

Not sure if it would cause that error but did the php version change on the server when your host changed the control panel?
Good question. The current setting is using PHP 7.4 (ea-php74).

I don't think we have a reference for pre-upgrade to the control panel.

The only options they offer is PHP 7.3 (ea-php73)

Ooooohh! This is xf 1.5.... runs to check reqs

Spidey senses feels like it's PHP. The host put a new php.ini file in place this morning.
They have a MultiPHP Manager feature and the php.ini file has this at the top.

cPanel-generated php ini directives, do not edit
; Manual editing of this file may result in unexpected behavior.
; To make changes to this file, use the cPanel MultiPHP INI Editor (Home >> Software >> MultiPHP INI Editor)
; For more information, read our documentation (https://go.cpanel.net/EA4ModifyINI)

The only thing that the MultiPHP INI editor lets me do is change the version.
So, I'm off to figure out to deal with this.

Happy to take any direction/guidance, and thanks for the help so far!

It's definitely a PHP version issue - you need to downgrade to 7.2 or lower.

This is the ACP log in page:

"continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"?

1. XenForo_Application::handlePhpError() in XenForo/Autoloader.php at line 119
  2. include() in XenForo/Autoloader.php at line 119

It's definitely a PHP version issue - you need to downgrade to 7.2 or lower.

This is the ACP log in page:

Code:
"continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"?

[LIST=1]
[*][B]XenForo_Application::handlePhpError()[/B] in [B]XenForo/Autoloader.php[/B] at line [B]119[/B]
[*][B]include()[/B] in [B]XenForo/Autoloader.php[/B] at line [B]119[/B]
[/LIST]
Thanks for that!

Alternatively, could we upgrade Xenforo to a version that works with 7.3 or 7.4? 🤔

You could but XF1 to XF2 is a major upgrade and typically requires some planning, especially if you have third party add-ons installed.

Top Bottom