Separate phrases for Like and Reaction menu/list in posts

Mr Lucky

Currently in order to add a reaction, the user clicks on the word "Like" even though they may want to use some other reaction such as "dislike"

This seems a bit counterintuitive because that word "Like" is just opening up the list or menu of different reactions. So you may want to change the link to say "react" or "rate" as with Xon's Content Ratings (see below). Otherwise members can be confused as they just see the word Like and instead of thinking it's a list of different reactions, they think their only option is to like.

HOWEVER, the phrase also changes the title of the actual Like reaction itself so you cannot do that.

My suggestion is for these to be two different phrases, you could then change the name of the reactions menu without changing the word for the actual Like itself.

View media item 2621

Upvote 16
Hey, I asked that question too.

The answer was, as so often.

It works like designed.

We and meanwhile also many of our users ask that again and again.
Unfortunately not all belong to the generation Facebook from where one is used to that.

@Mr Lucky I can see why it works as it does - XF1 was always 'Like' and the XF2 implementation keeps that standard so owners/users intuitively know what to click to react to a post.

That being said, I like the way it works in your video so even if it doesn't make it into the core of XF2 it might be useful if someone re-works it as an add-on. :)

@Mr Lucky I can see why it works as it does - XF1 was always 'Like' and the XF2 implementation keeps that standard so owners/users intuitively know what to click to react to a post.

Er, no. XF1 was Like that because there was only "Like"

XF2 implication keeping that as standard is my exact point. If people are used to XF1, that Like means Like, then this is the whole problem. Like used to mean Like, but it doesn't just mean that since XF2, Like now means "choose from this set of different reaction"

It works exactly the same - I click 'Like' on your post above and it behaves in the same way as it did in XF1.

Granted, with XF2 you can hover and select from a few reactions, but fundamentally it is the exact same process and end result.

It works exactly the same - I click 'Like' on your post above and it behaves in the same way as it did in XF1.

Granted, with XF2 you can hover and select from a few reactions, but fundamentally it is the exact same process and end result.

Hoover on Mobile!?
Our users of mobile devices are used to the fact that where Like stands, there is only a Like in it. The intention of reaction, however, is to select a "reaction" from different reactions, not clumsy to click/tipp on "Like."
Therefore, in the new version of XenForo with Reaction should also appear a selection box instead of equal to a Like.

The way it works now has been fine on my forums. I haven't had anyone ask me how to get to the reactions and it's being used a lot on both of my forums. :)

Any update on when this will be resolved/implemented? I can't keep having "Rate" sitting under the like icon on the reactions list, but it's preferable over having "Like" for a rating/reaction menu.

Any update on when this will be resolved/implemented? I can't keep having "Rate" sitting under the like icon on the reactions list, but it's preferable over having "Like" for a rating/reaction menu.
I am also a little disappointed that the developers have simply crumbled the old Likes system and the new Reactions instead of paying attention to clean separation as it is usually the case.

I hope so that there is still a view and separates the likes and reactions system clean.

It's not a problem because it works okay as it is,

The whole point is that it doesn't.

There are two different actions:

1. Open the Reactions menu
  2. Like a post

And so they should have two different phrases rather than one phrase for two different things. It may work for people who somehow magically know what is meant in the first context, but to normal people, the word like does not imply "open or show a menu where I can react in various different ways"

These do not actually mean like

This does mean like.

Last edited:
Having had the opportunity to play around with XF2 more since I last posted in this thread, I am now seeing the "problem" insomuch that you cannot change the link text separately from the "like" reaction; so I agree, it would be good to be able to set the text to something other than like without it renaming the like reaction. (y)

I also agree it should be part of the core; so much of the rest of XF has separate phrases that can be tailored to suit the language/context of your site, so it shouldn't be prohibitively difficult to do. Perhaps for a near-future XF release?

Top Bottom