Separate permission to edit silently

Martok

Currently if a moderator is has the permission to edit anyone's post, they also have the ability to edit silently and clear the last edit information.

I would like to suggest that an additional permission is added to grant this capability.

This would allow forum owners to set a policy whereby moderators can edit anyone's post but it always shows that they has been edited. With the silent/clear capability, moderators can hide any editing that they do, even if it's not policy on a forum. Yes, anything they do is in the moderator logs but by having this as an extra permission, it would save administrators from having to check the logs for silent edits.

Liam W

This could be quite an issue if a moderator were to go and delete all edit history data.

Agree fully.

CountRock

I agree, separate permissions should be there for both options based on their groups.

Feature still missing in 1.3

RichardKYA

@Martok

You could always do this in the helper_edit_silent template

Code:
<xen:if is="{xen:helper ismemberof, $visitor, 3,4}"> <---------JUST ADD YOUR MOD GROUPS HERE
<dl class="ctrlUnit {$extraClasses}">
   <dt></dt>
   <dd><ul>
     <li><label><input type="checkbox" name="silent" value="1" id="ctrl_silent" class="Disabler" checked {xen:checked $silentEdit} /> {xen:phrase edit_silently}</label>
       <p class="explain">{xen:phrase if_selected_no_last_edited_note_will_be_added_for_this_edit}</p>
       <ul id="ctrl_silent_Disabler">
         <li><label><input type="checkbox" name="clear_edit" value="1" {xen:checked $clearEdit} /> {xen:phrase clear_last_edit_information}</label>
           <p class="explain">{xen:phrase if_selected_any_existing_last_edited_note_will_be_removed}</p>
         </li>
       </ul>
     </li>
   </ul></dd>
</dl>
</xen:if>
Then you can just add each mod group that has the permission to edit silently.

mbino

Thanks, that works! But it would be good to see it as a feature in the future. I now need to make sure it stays there after every update.

rickhz

I see this still hasn't been addressed in 1.5.

How can e-commerce be done legitimately when members can alter their sale posts with no one noticing?

I did incorporate the hack, but permissions for this should definitely be part of the core system.

Martok

Any chance of this being addressed (our mods would love to have silent editing always enabled)?
That's not what this suggestion is.

Currently if a moderator is has the permission to edit anyone's post, they also have the ability to edit silently and clear the last edit information.

I would like to suggest that an additional permission is added to grant this capability.

Reactions: Sim

Sim

I've had issues recently with some of my moderators who feel intimidated by some of our more vocal/aggressive members and have resorted to using the Edit Silently feature to hide the fact that edits have been made.

I will be educating them that this is not necessary - since it doesn't actually show who made the edits, and I'd rather have it clear that an edit was made.

It's quite important that this suggestion be implemented - we need to have control over who can use this feature.