1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Separate permission to edit silently

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by Martok, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Currently if a moderator is has the permission to edit anyone's post, they also have the ability to edit silently and clear the last edit information.

I would like to suggest that an additional permission is added to grant this capability.

This would allow forum owners to set a policy whereby moderators can edit anyone's post but it always shows that they has been edited. With the silent/clear capability, moderators can hide any editing that they do, even if it's not policy on a forum. Yes, anything they do is in the moderator logs but by having this as an extra permission, it would save administrators from having to check the logs for silent edits.

Kintaro, rickhz, MrDeranged and 22 others like this.
  2. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

This could be quite an issue if a moderator were to go and delete all edit history data.

Agree fully.

3. CountRock

CountRock Member

I agree, separate permissions should be there for both options based on their groups.

Feature still missing in 1.3

4. Lawrence

Lawrence Well-Known Member

@Martok @Liam W @CountRock I've just added this permission to my More Permissions add-on, and will release the update when I finish with one more permission. I know you want it to be in the core, but this will do until such a time the devs feel it should be added.

Martok and CountRock like this.
  5. andrewkm

andrewkm Active Member

Absolutely agree with this thread.

6. denam

denam Active Member

@Lawrence I can't find that 'Edit silently' permission setting in your resource description nor in the screenshots. Is it really available?

7. RichardKYA

RichardKYA Well-Known Member

@Martok

You could always do this in the helper_edit_silent template

Code:
    <xen:if is="{xen:helper ismemberof, $visitor, 3,4}"> <---------JUST ADD YOUR MOD GROUPS HERE
    <dl class="ctrlUnit {$extraClasses}">
       <dt></dt>
       <dd><ul>
         <li><label><input type="checkbox" name="silent" value="1" id="ctrl_silent" class="Disabler" checked {xen:checked $silentEdit} /> {xen:phrase edit_silently}</label>
           <p class="explain">{xen:phrase if_selected_no_last_edited_note_will_be_added_for_this_edit}</p>
           <ul id="ctrl_silent_Disabler">
             <li><label><input type="checkbox" name="clear_edit" value="1" {xen:checked $clearEdit} /> {xen:phrase clear_last_edit_information}</label>
               <p class="explain">{xen:phrase if_selected_any_existing_last_edited_note_will_be_removed}</p>
             </li>
           </ul>
         </li>
       </ul></dd>
    </dl>
    </xen:if>

Then you can just add each mod group that has the permission to edit silently.

rickhz likes this.
  8. mbino

mbino Member

Thanks, that works! But it would be good to see it as a feature in the future. I now need to make sure it stays there after every update.

9. rickhz

rickhz Member

I see this still hasn't been addressed in 1.5.

How can e-commerce be done legitimately when members can alter their sale posts with no one noticing?

I did incorporate the hack, but permissions for this should definitely be part of the core system.